Probation period

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Frey12

Probation period

Post by Frey12 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Hi all

I'm just wondering if the doctorate is subject to a probation period the same way a normal job is? Or do the assessments negate the need to have an official probationary period? Wasn't sure whether to put this in here or employment issues so mods please feel free to move it if you feel it would be better placed elsewhere.

Thanks

Alex

Re: Probation period

Post by Alex » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:54 pm

There was no probation period in my contract. It does say that continuation of employment is dependent on achieving academic and practical aspects of the training. So they can terminate on those grounds.

Frey12

Post by Frey12 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks alex :)

Loula

Post by Loula » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Pretty sure we didn't have a probationary period, but lots of mentions in our contract that our employment is subject to our ongoing status on the course, and lots of reminders that failing X pieces of work would result in us terminating the course (I have never heard of this actually happening except for people who have left for health reasons)

matt.berlin

Post by matt.berlin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:45 pm

I think my contract did have a standard NHS probationary period though I can't remember what that was. Nothing much was made out of it, as far as I can remember - no fanfare to mark the end of it.

I do know one person who had to leave the job because they failed their first year (we are given one opportunity to resit a failed assignment and if you still have not passed you are out) - though that is quite rare.
Ordnung ist das halbe Leben ... aber die andere Hälfte ist viel schöner!

Frey12

Post by Frey12 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks guys this had been very helpful