UEL 2014/5

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
icebluesparkles

UEL 2014/5

Post by icebluesparkles » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:48 am

Hello everyone

I was hoping to apply to UEL this year but am a little unsettled by the new selection procedure - particularly the online selection test. Given this is the first year these tests have been used (although I believe there were 'dummy' tests last year?) I am uncomfortable about having no idea of their format. I am also not clear if (beyond meeting basic selection criteria), the test scores are the only criterion that will be used to offer interviews (as I believe is the case in some of the other centres using such tests) or whether a combination of form and test is used. I understand UEL are no longer responding to individual enquiries so wondered if anyone here had that information?

I am very clear of my other three courses but am now stuck and don't want to 'waste' a choice. I am unable to leave London due to family commitments but don't feel RHUL or IOP are a good fit for my situation. I don't have a strong enough research background for IOP and RHUL do not typically seem to accept older applicants.

If anyone has any more info on the UEL selection process I'd be grateful :D

bluegoat

Re: UEL 2014/5

Post by bluegoat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:58 pm

icebluesparkles wrote: ...and RHUL do not typically seem to accept older applicants.
What makes you say that?

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:03 pm

bluegoat wrote:
icebluesparkles wrote: ...and RHUL do not typically seem to accept older applicants.
What makes you say that?
I just checked the alternative handbook for the 2014 entry.

Around 65% were between 25-29 years old, 25% between 20-24, and 10% between 30-34.

So you must be right!

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:41 pm

I was also wondering about this and was initially surprised that there are only 5% of applicants in the 30-34 group and 5% over 35yrs in the 2015 alternative handbook but then realised that only a quarter of trainees actually completed the survey so it is possible they do accept more mature applicants but it might not show in the handbook. I don't know whether RHUL would provide more info if contacted directly?

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Pixie wrote:I was also wondering about this and was initially surprised that there are only 5% of applicants in the 30-34 group and 5% over 35yrs in the 2015 alternative handbook but then realised that only a quarter of trainees actually completed the survey so it is possible they do accept more mature applicants but it might not show in the handbook. I don't know whether RHUL would provide more info if contacted directly?
There isn't a 2015 handbook.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:45 pm

happyfeet

Post by happyfeet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Yes I think icebluesparkles heard right. A friend of mine contacted their courses of choice and, rather than ask a generic 'do you give equal consideration to older candidates' to which people ALWAYS say 'yes of course' (because they have to :D) they asked more specifically whether any candidates over 40 actually been offered a place in the last 5 years. RHUL were one of the ones that said they hadn't... Of course that may be because the comparatively small number of applicants that apply from that age band were not up to it but personally I prefer to go on what is done rather than what is said...

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:29 pm

That's helpful to know, thanks happyfeet!

bluegoat

Post by bluegoat » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Dice

Post by Dice » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi icebluesparkles,

At the talk I went to the UEL representative said that the test was just used to eliminate those who scored in the bottom 25%. So as long as you meet the (new) minimum criteria and don't score in the bottom 25% in the test your form will go through to the next stage where it will be looked at and rated, and the highest scorers will be offered interviews.

I hope that answers your question,

Dice

icebluesparkles

Post by icebluesparkles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks so much Dice. That is reassuring. Somehow in my haste I read the blurb as meaning only the top 25% scorers would be considered lol. That is either a rather worrying reflection of my poor grasp of basic statistical concepts or (hopefully more likely) an example of my negativity about my chances of success permeating my interpretation of solid facts :lol: .

Anyway thank you for sharing that - I think it pretty much resolves my dilemma.

Just out of interest did they mention something about having to have done a piece of research beyond BSc or MSc? I seem to remember seeing that somewhere on the forum?

Thanks again

Dice

Post by Dice » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:02 pm

They said you need (quoting from person spec) "research experience as a postgraduate, either postgraduate level training or study (e.g. MSC, PhD) or/and conducting applied or service-related research in clinical settings." For the latter they said a research assistant post or experience of audit/service evaluation would be OK.

bam

Post by bam » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:56 am

icebluesparkles wrote:Thanks so much Dice. That is reassuring. Somehow in my haste I read the blurb as meaning only the top 25% scorers would be considered lol. That is either a rather worrying reflection of my poor grasp of basic statistical concepts or (hopefully more likely) an example of my negativity about my chances of success permeating my interpretation of solid facts :lol: .
Or you just interpreted it correctly. It does clearly state that you need to score in the 'upper 75th percentile', and not the upper 25th percentile.

Dice

Post by Dice » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Ah, so it does. That's confusing then. Did anyone else go to a UEL talk and hear what I heard?

moony

Post by moony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:43 am

Bit of an inconsequential question for all you lovely UEL trainees.

I'm interviewing at UEL on the 5th of May, then towards the end of that week I'm away for a family wedding and won't be back until the following week. So I'm wondering if UEL used email or letters to let you know the outcome of your interviews.

If it's via email I'll be able to find out either way, but already worrying that they'll send letters and it'll be sat on my doormat for a few, (hhighly anxious!) days before I can get back to open it.

Thanks for indulging my DClin anxiety!
"The brain is a monstrous, beautiful mess." ~ W. Allman Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution