Plymouth 2016

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
endedupageek

Plymouth 2016

Post by endedupageek » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:09 am

Thought I'd start a new thread to see if anyone else is around that will be going to Plymouth this September. I met some lovely people at the interviews last Thursday, very much hoping some of them will be on the course. My training base is Exeter, which I'm delighted with as it's where I live :-). Anyone else out there going to be on the Plymouth course this year?

jsv1990

Re: Plymouth 2016

Post by jsv1990 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi, I accepted my place today. Bit quiet round these parts isn't it.....

mtb1990

Post by mtb1990 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:17 am

Hello. I'll also be starting in Plymouth this September. Looking forward to meeting you all.

endedupageek

Post by endedupageek » Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Hooray, more Plymouth posters - hi :D
It is a bit quiet compared to some of the other course threads, but I guess Plymouth is a quite a small course. I'm so excited at the prospect of starting and very curious to meet everyone else. I already live in Devon (Exeter) so won't be relocating, and delighted to have got Exeter as my base. If anyone has any questions about life in Devon (or Cornwall) then I'd be happy to help if I can.

jsv1990

Post by jsv1990 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 am

Yes that is true. I will be relocating but haven't decided quite where to live yet as my placement base is South Devon. I like both Exeter and Plymouth (although been warned to steer clear of quite a few areas of Plymouth), and some of the smaller towns along the coast are also quite attractive too. Nice dilemma! As a local....where might you recommend most?

Just out of interest, has anyone been contacted by the HR department regarding DBS checks etc. yet? I've just left a part-time position and warned them that they may have a reference request so hopefully it won't come as a shock to them anyway!

endedupageek

Post by endedupageek » Tue May 17, 2016 11:40 am

Hi jsav1990.
I'm guessing that most placements in South Devon will be in the Torquay/Paington area, so that would be an option if you want to live somewhere with a bit more going on and also to reduce travel to placement. Some beautiful beaches as well. As with Plymouth, be a bit careful in Torquay - it's a slightly odd place with really wealthy areas right next to really deprived ones, and quite a significant drug/alcohol problem.

South Devon (the South Hams) is really beautiful, with amazing beaches and great surfing. Some bits of South Devon can take a while to get to from either Plymouth or Exeter, all those little windy roads, so it will depend a bit on how long you're happy to drive for. If you want easy transport access to everywhere else then around Newton Abbott is a good idea, although it's not the loveliest town - but good access to Plymouth, Exeter, South Devon and the moors.

I've had an email from the host organisation asking me to fill in an online application form to get the process started. I've sent that back and I think the next stage is occupational health and DBS checks. They said they'll be in touch shortly. I have been in touch with their HR team and Plymouth uni a bit already as I had a few questions I wanted to sort out :-).

jsv1990

Post by jsv1990 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Thanks for the recommendations/warnings :D very useful
I've been told that Newton Abbott might be best avoided, as well as some parts of Torquay, by people I know who used to live in the area a long time ago! Glad to hear that a relative local agrees.

Haven't received anything yet from the HR; not sure why but for some reason it won't feel fully real to me until everything is confirmed.

Start date is the 19th September as well, just in case you weren't aware

endedupageek

Post by endedupageek » Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 am

I know what you mean about it not feeling real!
I've got 2 jobs that I need to resign from before September and for one of them I'm on 3 months' notice, which means I'll have to resign before I have a formal contract in place - that feels a bit nervewracking!

Thanks for the info on term starting - that is also useful for resignation letters!

In terms of where to live my husband reminded me that Teignmouth is nice and quite well placed for travel into South Devon (in fact I think it counts as part of the South Devon area for placements). Good if you fancy being on the coast, although it's not that big so not so much going on.

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Mon May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Congrats all you guys. You're about to embark on a really tough three years, but you're going to love it (and hate it at times :) )

If you could take a minute to contribute to our ongoing surveys that would be great! We've been doing these since 2010, and I think it is really helpful to track people's trajectories.

How many times did you apply viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8733

and how many years after graduation viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8809

Great to see some outcomes for people, if you could spare a moment to add to our poll, that would be great :)

There's also a thread "what experience did you have when you got on training" which I think is a useful resource for applicants to see the sorts of profiles of people who are successful viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145

If you could take a minute to contribute to this, that would be fab.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.