Easiest ClinPsy Docs/ Unis to get into??

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
Psych4589325353

Easiest ClinPsy Docs/ Unis to get into??

Post by Psych4589325353 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:53 am

Hey Everyone!

I might apply to the doctorate for the first time this year and was wondering (if any) are the easiest unis to get into?

I heard Lancaster is easier than others but don't know if it is true??

Or on the other hand if there are any I should avoid?

(I have a psych degree, masters and a years experience in mental health) I don't expect to get in this year but thought I might as well try

Thanks in advance :)!
:cyclops:

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Easiest ClinPsy Docs/ Unis to get into??

Post by Geishawife » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 am

There is no such thing as a course that is "easier" to get into! The courses have different requirements - some (e.g. UCL) stress that you must have a particular grade of first degree, others (e.g. Lancaster) use selection tests to shortlist and pay less attention to degree grade. That does NOT, however, make them easier to get into and, frankly, that's a good thing! We want people to get on to the courses because they are right and ready for training, not because they've taken "the easy route". Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

ell

Post by ell » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:13 am

Numerically speaking, the percentage of applicants that are successful in gaining a place varies quite a lot between courses, and you can find that info on the clearing house website. But as GeishaWife points out, different courses have different things they are looking for, and so it's not as simple as playing a numbers game.

hawke

Post by hawke » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

I would suggest looking closely at how courses short list. Although no university is easy, some may be better matched to you. For example, I did better with courses that used shortlisting exams, and got nowhere with courses that just looked at my application.

ChrisCross

Post by ChrisCross » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 am

Arguably, the "easier" courses to get on to will be those that most closely match your own personal and professional values. Different courses will be looking to recruit people with different characteristics but, as ell said, it's not about playing a numbers game. Have you looked at the Alternative Handbook published by the BPS? It gives an outline of all of the different courses from trainee perspectives and might help guide your thinking about where you would like to apply. You're more likely to do well in interviews if you have a sense of clarity about the kind of clinical psychologist you see yourself developing into and how this fits with the course ethos.

Psych4589325353

Post by Psych4589325353 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 pm

Thank you for your advice!

I know none of these courses are easy, in fact they're all extremely competitive so I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just thought I might stand a chance at some more than others. For example if I applied to KCL or Oxford this year my chances are likely to be around 0%!

Are there any other routes similar to ClinPsy that people can take that aren't quite so competitive?

Thanks again

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 pm

We have wikis and multiple threads about similar careers that don't have the competition of the doctorate.

In terms of playing the odds, applying outside of London/oxford helps, but as others have said it is more about match than probability. However, given your brief recap of your status, I'd say confidence is what you should focus on.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:23 pm

One of my good friends had a really tough time on her training course because it just wasn't the ideal fit for her. She accepted it based on its convenient location, no other reason, and while she did qualify (she now works as an 8b) she feels she made the whole process unnecessarily challenging for herself by not picking a course that was a better fit with her own approach. So the best way to maximise your chances is probably to target your applications to the right places, as others have said.

But of course, to make successful applications to courses that are a good match for you, you have to know something about your own style. I could be wrong, but I think this is the main reason why people generally have much more than one year's experience before they get onto training. It isn't because they've ticked lots of boxes with different client groups, it's because it takes time to figure out what resonates with you and what doesn't. A turning point for me was working in a role where I had group supervision from a psychodynamic child psychotherapist. Up until this point I'd always imagined myself finding my niche in community psychology, social constructionist approaches, etc., but in that job I discovered a whole new perspective and it had a huge impact on everything - not just my work in that CAMHS unit, but even how I looked at my PhD data, which suddenly made sense in various new and interesting ways. I am currently doing a course on child mental health with the Tavistock - a course that I wouldn't have even considered a few years ago because I just assumed that all this psychoanalytic business wasn't for me! It turns out that it's very much for me, but it took me a while to find that out. So be patient with yourself, and try and frame this as you discovering the best place for you to flourish as a trainee clinician, rather than seeing it as you trying to squeeze onto a bus that has a huge queue at every door. ;)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Psych4589325353

Post by Psych4589325353 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Thank you! I appreciate your advice