Salomons- where to live?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
bam1008

Salomons- where to live?

Post by bam1008 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Hi all,

I don't want to post this in the 2020 uptake as I have not confirmed my place yet. Im considering my options but leaning towards accepting Salomons! Theres something that feels strange about not having attended the actual uni for the interview nor seeing the area!

A lot of my friends live in London so I think I want to consider places to live that have a good London link and I wondered if anyone on the course (or if anyone knows anyone on the course) could let me know of any areas in south london or the outskirts that people have found are good locations to move to? Or any other suggestions for location?

Thanks for any help!!

Punkgirluk

Re: Salomons- where to live?

Post by Punkgirluk » Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am

Hi- and first of all congratulations! I’m a first year at Salomons so I just wanted to chip in. Generally my cohort live in one of three locations- there’s a big group in south London, smaller groups in Brighton and Tunbridge Wells (which is where I live- really close to the uni). I will ask the rest of my cohort about areas in south London but generally as long as you’re in easyish reach of London Bridge you’ll be fine (reason for that is that’s on the fast direct train line to Tunbridge Wells). You will be in uni 1or 2 days per week and then in placement the other 3- catchment area is Kent and Medway, Sussex, Oxleas and south London and maudsley. There are a lot of (certainly 1st year) placements in south and southeast London so if you’re living in London you’re likely to get a first year placement there. May be worth looking at SLaM and oxleas catchment arras and where the hubs of the services are. You will generally have at least one long commute over the three years, but you will usually get overnight accommodation funded. Hope that’s helpful- feel free to message me if you have any more questions

bam1008

Post by bam1008 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:59 pm

Punkgirluk wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am
Hi- and first of all congratulations! I’m a first year at Salomons so I just wanted to chip in. Generally my cohort live in one of three locations- there’s a big group in south London, smaller groups in Brighton and Tunbridge Wells (which is where I live- really close to the uni). I will ask the rest of my cohort about areas in south London but generally as long as you’re in easyish reach of London Bridge you’ll be fine (reason for that is that’s on the fast direct train line to Tunbridge Wells). You will be in uni 1or 2 days per week and then in placement the other 3- catchment area is Kent and Medway, Sussex, Oxleas and south London and maudsley. There are a lot of (certainly 1st year) placements in south and southeast London so if you’re living in London you’re likely to get a first year placement there. May be worth looking at SLaM and oxleas catchment arras and where the hubs of the services are. You will generally have at least one long commute over the three years, but you will usually get overnight accommodation funded. Hope that’s helpful- feel free to message me if you have any more questions
Thank you so much!! That is all so helpful! If you do ask your cohort on specific locations they live/ would recommend id be so interested to hear :) thanks again!

jasmineh

Post by jasmineh » Fri May 15, 2020 9:47 am

Also interested it this! I’m in Brighton currently but thinking about south London.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Sat May 16, 2020 11:19 am

Okay so I have collated the info from my cohort (the question sparked lively debate!)
Places recommended:
Balham
Clapham
Brockley
Beckenham
Bermondsey

If you’re planning to drive predominantly rather than train add:
Crystal Palace
Bromley

Other areas e.g Lewisham are great for placement access and transport links but slightly less desirable for living in.

Hope that’s helpful and congrats again!
Helen

bam1008

Post by bam1008 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:17 pm

Helen, thank you so much. This is so helpful, I think i'm pretty set on my choice now :D !!!

farr93

Post by farr93 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi! I am going to start at Salomons this September and plan to stay where I am currently based in East London, Bow. I think it will be a pretty good base as it's right by the A2 and if you plan to drive it's only 1 hour to Tunbridge Wells!

ruth888

Post by ruth888 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:43 am

Hi, I’ve been offered a place at Salomons too! I’m currently living in South West London/Surrey border and was wondering whether it would be feasible to stay living here whilst attending Salomons? Would appreciate any advice! Thank you!