Cohort project around diversity

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
hawke

Cohort project around diversity

Post by hawke » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:03 pm

My cohort is hoping to work together over the last half of our training to address issues of diversity in psychology training at our university.

We've had some discussions, with ideas such as mentoring schemes, outreach work, improving the curriculum, and working on relationships and psychological safety on training. Ideally we'd like to start something that can be handed over to future cohorts to continue. We're conscious of the need to do something important but achievable, and have a general feeling that we want to move beyond talk to action.

I'd be really interested to hear from others about things that have worked well in their own contexts, or if anyone knows of any pertinent research that would point us in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Spatch

Re: Cohort project around diversity

Post by Spatch » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 pm

1) Its worth looking at some back issues of clinical psychology forum, as there have been BME trainees who have written about their experiences there over the last few years, and have made some interesting views.

Off the top of my head, here are some things that could help:

= Trainees mentoring BME undergrads (which is where the gap lies)
= Having BME people in the profession being encouraged to take visible/leadership positions, and accomodation or incentives around this.
= Openly acknowledging the inherent systemic racism in the NHS and trainee projects geared towards investigating and exposing this. (e.g. http://www.nationalhealthexecutive.com/ ... n-the-rise)
= Less of the defensiveness from the hegemony. (i.e. racism is something that is disavowed and belongs with other people), but trainees and qualifieds acknowleding their own racism and how they may have benefited from this system.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

nikkila

Re: Cohort project around diversity

Post by nikkila » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi guys just to echo some of what spatch had said. I think it would be really good to speak to BME staff and trainees in thw profession first and foremost. A lot of the research can often be conveyed from non BME professionals which often misses the most vital point. Hope this helps :)