undecided on course selection

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
desh3060

undecided on course selection

Post by desh3060 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi, I was wondering if I could ask if anyone could suggest what dclin courses you would pick if you have published on a number of occasions.

I have published 4 papers, and I'm struggling to pick a course, which would maximise my chances in getting an interview thanks.

I've got quite a lot of clinical experience, too but I think my research section is what stands out in my application.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: undecided on course selection

Post by Geishawife » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:38 pm

To be honest, publications will probably boost your chances with most courses although London (especially UCL) and Oxford spring to mind as courses that value "academics". But, without wishing to be controversial, I don't recommend applying with maximising your chances of getting on as a main driver. I would focus instead on where you feel you'd be happiest training. Remember, you have to spend 3 years living and working in an area of the country and doing hard academic work to doctorate level so you need to be settled and "gel" with the course ethos if you are going to get the best out of training. So, given publications will help regardless, I think you're better off looking at the course outlines and plumping for the courses that are a good fit for you personally rather than anything else.

RJParker

Post by RJParker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Geishawife wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:38 pm
But, without wishing to be controversial, I don't recommend applying with maximising your chances of getting on as a main driver. I would focus instead on where you feel you'd be happiest training.
I think this is just very good advice and not at all controversial.

ell

Post by ell » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:09 pm

"Oxford springs to mind as a course that values academics"

As a very non academic type Oxford qualified CP, I'm always amused by this whenever it pops up. Admittedly things have changed since I went there, but then it's always been the narrative about Oxford. Perhaps I was an exception.

Anyways, look at the alternative handbook for some more up to date detail, and Geishawife's advice re finding a course that is a good fit for you is good advice I think.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:45 pm

From my experience I'd say UEA, Oxford, UCL, Bath are places that come to mind when I think of young but academically strong applicants (edited to add: I also agree about IoPPN and Manchester). I'm also a fan of choosing your courses by the fit of their ethos to your values, but I think fit also involves playing to your strengths and if you want somewhere that has more academic/research focus and not the more reflective or community/social justice stance, that's part of finding courses that will make you feel a sense of belonging, isn't it?
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:43 pm

IOP is the most obvious one to me as they require research experience.

UEA and Manchester are the other researchy unis!

However I so agree with the comments on finding a uni that will suit you and where you want to train as if you don’t meet the course values you may struggle at interview and/or as a trainee.

markova

Post by markova » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm currently a first-year trainee on the Oxford course. Our cohort is quite young and academic (about 20% have PhDs), so I think a strong academic background and extensive research experience would probably be valued by the selection team. As others have said, it could be useful to also have a look at course ethos to see if that is aligned with who you are as a person before you make a decision about which courses to select. Good luck! :)