Which doctorates accept those without AP experience??

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
nessa5487

Which doctorates accept those without AP experience??

Post by nessa5487 »

I am about to finish my master's this year but do not have AP experience yet. I am just wondering if it is worth trying for the doctorate this year despite my lack of AP experience, and which courses I would have more luck with. It seems a lot of them require direct supervision from a clinPsy (paid) or therapy experience.

By the end of this masters course I will have gotten 4 months of supervision from a Clinical psychologist a part of my placement.

My experience:
A levels: BBC -
BSc Psychology (First)
MSc (predicted distinction)
Inpatient support worker mixed adult unit (a year and a half)
Primary support worker (6 months)
Team leader - children's residential home (1 year)
Special needs school TA (1 year)

I have also presented my undergraduate dissertation at BCUR and hoping to publish my masters dissertation next year.
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Which doctorates accept those without AP experience??

Post by Geishawife »

There is absolutely NO requirementfor ANY CP course that you have experience as an AP. This is a myth that persists, despite our efforts. What matters is that you can demonstrate that your experience to date has made you a good candidate for CP training, not the role in which you get it. It IS true that most courses expect you to have experience (usually 1 year or more Whole Time Equivalent) but it does not need to be as an AP. So, rather than focusing on the roles you have undertaken reflect upon what you have learnt, how you have grown and developed, the skills you have etc. They are what matter.
lozzyhickers

Re: Which doctorates accept those without AP experience??

Post by lozzyhickers »

Geishawife wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:49 pm There is absolutely NO requirementfor ANY CP course that you have experience as an AP. This is a myth that persists, despite our efforts.
This. I used to be on an increasing access committee, and we were always banging on about this. An AP job is nor a prerequisite (I didn't have one), it's the skills you've used in the posts that you DO have, and your reflections on these that matter.