What to do if I don't get a place this year..or ever!

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course
ElizabethB

Re: What to do if I don't get a place this year..or ever!

Post by ElizabethB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 am

psych_lad wrote: I feel very undervalued and a bit overwhelmed by the expectations and volume of work- making me very unhappy.
Hey psychlad.

I just wanted to let you know that I'm experiencing something very similar. With two rejections (one after my v.poor performance at the Surrey exam and one outright rejection from UEL), I've had a very sleepless night, not good as I'll be presenting at a conference in a few hours.

I'm still waiting on Birmingham and Salomons, but I'm really not hopeful.

Due to my two set backs so far, I'm going to submit an application for the Doctorate in Health Psychology and finish of my PhD. I'll probably stay and conduct research within clinical psychology relevant research departments.

I don't know what else to do, I have 2 MScs, publications, a PhD (nearly) and about 6-7 years relevant experience. Perhaps having a completed PhD and gaining an assistant psychologist position and/or more clinically relevant experience will help my application. Or perhaps the competition is just to fierce at the moment considering number of applicants applying and unis having strict criteria to eliminate people with 2.2s straight away (ie UEL).

I hate this whole process. I think I'm just going to have to accept that no matter how hard I try, the competition will continue to increase and the bars will just keep rising and my chances will therefore reduce even further.

I'm not holding out for much chance with my remaining unis, so I think my back up options are the only way to go. I don't think I'll ever get a place- ever!! :oops: :cry:

I think I'll give it one last try when I've finished my PhD and gained some more clinical experience. I doubt I'll be able to obtain an AP post, but I'l see if I could get a support worker or care assistant job! I'm not feeling particuarly great at the mo! :cry:

baa

Post by baa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:55 am

The way I looked at it (4 years, no interviews :lol: ) was that perhaps clinical psychology and I were never quite on the same page, there were obviously aspects of the role I like, but also a decent chunk that I don't care for as much! Maybe the courses picked up on my ambivalence in the form, or maybe I didn't write the form the way I needed to to get an interview because research/consultation/leadership has never been my thing. So in a way, I'm better off not getting on the course, and I was mainly applying for it because it was the only funded way (at the time) to work clinically with a psych degree. I think sometimes there's only so much anyone can do to get an interview, and perhaps people like me were never entirely suitable.

Does that make sense? I'm not saying the grass is greener where I am now, it's just there's more grass than I had initially thought. And it isn't all on the clinical psych lawn. (too much grass talk now). I feel a lot happier and a lot more confident now CP isn't the be all and end all of careers for me.

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Psych_lad- I feel you! You sound like the voices in my head =/

1. This is my second time applying, though my application last year was as an undergraduate so my guess is it was rejected almost as soon as it was opened!

2. I've never been offered an interview, received 4 straight nos this year; though I wasn't too surprised.

3. I think I might apply for another 2-3 years, I don't want to put off having kids too late and the prospect of doing my dclin with toddlers is a wee bit terrifying!

4. As alternatives I'd probably do counselling or forensic psychology though I've dreamt of clinical for as long as I've known it's existed!

I'm currently doing a part time diploma in psychotherapy and will be accredited by next year, I'm only working as a support worker and definitely DO NOT want to do it long term. I just wonder if the wait will ever end!!

psych_lad

Post by psych_lad » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Hey guys, I just found out I have one interview this year, but I am still not holding out much hope...fingers crossed!

Really need to still be thinking about a plan b if I dont get on.
Psych_lad

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 am

1. how many times have you applied
this is my second go

2. how many time have you been offered interviews
NEVER! - I have 7 rejection letters and 1 rejection email undfer my bed :D

3. how long you plan to keep applying
few more years yet

4. what alternative career may you consider
graduate medicine most likely

chin up folks, itll all be worth it :D

louby

Post by louby » Fri May 07, 2010 12:07 pm

1. How many times have you applied?
Once

2. How many times have you been offered interviews?
Offered 2 interviews and 2 straight rejections

3. How long do you plan to keep applying?
1 more time, but I'm taking a years break to figure out if clin psy is right for me (and vice versa!)

4. Alternative career?
Primary school teacher / SEN teacher / Educational psychologist

Steph

Post by Steph » Fri May 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Three times

Offered an interview at Bristol first year of applying, but the course fell through. So really this is my first year of interviews...and I got all 4! What a difference a year makes.

One more year - 3 times of applying reflecting the 3 years on a course (if that makes sense)

4. Alternative career?
Have no idea, seem to have tailored my experience for clinical psychology. Possibly counselling, or CBT therapist. Or a wedding planner, bit random there.

messymind

Post by messymind » Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 pm

Gilly. wrote:1. how many times have you applied
this is my second go

2. how many time have you been offered interviews
NEVER! - I have 7 rejection letters and 1 rejection email undfer my bed :D

3. how long you plan to keep applying
few more years yet

4. what alternative career may you consider
graduate medicine most likely

chin up folks, itll all be worth it :D
Gilly, let the rejection letters go! You don't need them, burn them or something, very cathartic :)

Morningstar

Post by Morningstar » Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 am

Twice. I didn't expect to get anywhere with last year's application but wanted some experience of filling the form in and getting used to the whole process.

4 rejections last year, 2 interviews and 2 rejections this year. I'm 19th on the reserve list at Cov&Warwick, and my Surrey interview is tomorrow.

If I don't get on this year, I'll apply next year and maybe the year after.

4. Alternative career?
Not sure. Possibly counsellor or counselling psychology, or perhaps a clinically relevant PhD and then a career in research.

blan09

Post by blan09 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

1. Applied for the first time this year and only to one university

2. Had one interview

3. Not sure whether I ever apply again - but that is just very strong feeling today as I am dealing with the rejection I heard this morning

4. Few other plans.... got honorary contract for one day a week as Research Assistant psychologist at NHS psychology department.... And I am currently completing my second MSc. Just trying to decide whether to apply for funded PhD studentship, but that would mean that I would be than 43 next time when I come to DClinPsy interview and I already felt "too old" while at interviews...

ukcharlie

Post by ukcharlie » Mon May 10, 2010 3:00 pm

blan09 wrote:I would be than 43 next time when I come to DClinPsy interview and I already felt "too old" while at interviews...
Oh I can't have that - I got on this year and I'll be 44 in June - and male (well I was already male but you take my point)- so I'll stand out like a sore thumb but so what - it's good to be a little different
:D
Don't give up, an interview is a good thing, you can always learn from the feedback and try again..
“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius