Success for Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
LozLoz

Success for Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

Post by LozLoz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Hello 😊

I've been offered an interview at Wolverhampton University next month for the Doctorate in Counselling Psychology and was hoping to find others who are either on the course, applying, or who have completed the course. I feel like it's looking for a needle in a haystack when trying to find others in my situation.

I've been trying to prepare for the interview (and I understand that not a lot of information can be shared, due to guidelines) .... Last year I went to interview with limited experience. This time round I've completed Level 2 Counselling Skills, I've secured a placement providing 1:1 therapy and I do receive monthly supervision. I also work full time for a Mental Health and Wellbeing Charity as a Community wellbeing worker, so I facilitate groups for service users around the local area, and I use counselling skills within my role in groups, 1:1 and on the telephone.

What are your opinions? What was your experience? I would love to find others, as I'm completely wandering through this on my own. Nobody understands what this journey of waiting, anticipation and anxiety really does to the heart, body and soul!

Thanks for reading 😊😊

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
bluegoat

Re: Success for Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

Post by bluegoat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:53 pm

I've always said that Counselling Psychology needs its own forum - hence why there aren't many CoPs here.

If I was you I'd do a google search for people who have qualified from the course and contact them directly... Or you could contact the course directly and ask them to put you in touch with year 1/2/3 trainee rep.

mungle

Post by mungle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 am

Counselling psychology courses seem to really differ in their interview. I've heard some are similar to CP interview days whilst I've known one that requires no clinical experience/follows the style of a undergrad medical interview with different tasks. CoPs would know more but broadly I'd suggest reflecting on your work, the theories and models underlying it,. ethical and professional issues, research (the course will involve a thesis so you'll need some understanding, enthusiasm and skills in research) why CoP in particular, a case that went well and one which didn't but you have learnt from.

LozLoz

Post by LozLoz » Sat May 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you for your replies, I hope they do set up something for Counselling Psychology hopefuls so we're not crashing here scrambling for advice. I've connected with a few people on LinkedIn which has helped and your feedback was very helpful too! Thanks again 😊

Mudisco

Post by Mudisco » Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm

LozLoz wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:03 pm
Thank you for your replies, I hope they do set up something for Counselling Psychology hopefuls so we're not crashing here scrambling for advice. I've connected with a few people on LinkedIn which has helped and your feedback was very helpful too! Thanks again 😊
The Roehampton course is pretty transparent on the application process and from the looks of it, it seems similar to the DClinPsy http://urweb.roehampton.ac.uk/programme ... /index.asp

bhawbhaw

Post by bhawbhaw » Mon May 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello,

I have also applied for counselling psychology and just like you, have wondered on here to get support/any tips or advice. I have mine at Roehampton next month and not sure where to even begin preparation.

LozLoz

Post by LozLoz » Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm

Good luck bhawbhaw on your upcoming interview! 😊

I've been given some information from the university I have applied to, but I would like to talk to others who are going through the process. I would recommend looking at your past research, looking at your clinical experience and think about why that uni?

Feel free to pm me to chat more 😊