Part time work as an AP and PWP

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
PsychDelight

Part time work as an AP and PWP

Post by PsychDelight » Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm

I'm currently training as a PWP, and will be qualified next year. I really enjoy IAPTs however I wanted to gain some experience in secondary as an AP. I was wondering if anyone has had experience doing both part time AP and PWP work. How did you handle the work load? What was your hours like? Plus did it make any difference to your salary? I was thinking of doing this once I qualify as I do not want to give up my role as a PWP

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
mungle

Re: Part time work as an AP and PWP

Post by mungle » Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 pm

I've not done thins myself but have heard of others doing it. Some people have canvassed for volunteer assistant psychologist roles for 0.5 to 1 day a week. Potentially, you might be able to arrange flexible working arrangements e.g. 5 days condensed into 4.5 days with your PWP role. Alternatively you could go part-time in the PWP role if you secure a paid AP part-time role.

Also not, not every trainee has been an AP! You might be able to gain new skills in your PWP role.

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 am

I did exactly this and it was the most valuable 6 months of experience I had- but also by far the most intense. Useful because I got supervision from a CP (which was invaluable) but also I learned about options other than CBT (the service was very dbt oriented and trained all their AP’s in dbt) and also for exposure to a different group of patients (although I had worked as an hca in secondary care).
But you need to be formidably organised and helpful if you have supportive line managers in both jobs. Mine were and it made so much difference. I was able to choose my work pattern, which meant I could do the first three days in a week as a pwp and the last two as an assistant which really helped with separating the roles. I would also suggest if it’s possible that you work in different trusts for the two roles. Not only gives a comparison (which you can then discuss at interviews) but also prevents the complications of mon-wed trying to refer people to secondary care and then Thursday- Friday trying to find reasons to reject the same referrals!

Happy to answer any further questions or talk through any difficulties if that’s helpful

Punkgirluk

Post by Punkgirluk » Sat May 11, 2019 12:07 am

Sorry forgot to answer the bit about salary! Yes there was an impact. As a qualified pwp I was band 5, the assistant job was band 4 ( and to be honest I think that represented the differing levels of responsibility involved). I was lucky in getting on to the doctorate first go so the hit was only for 6 months but if I hadn’t been successful this year it would have been a difficult decision to make.

PsychDelight

Post by PsychDelight » Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 am

Punkgirluk wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 am
I did exactly this and it was the most valuable 6 months of experience I had- but also by far the most intense. Useful because I got supervision from a CP (which was invaluable) but also I learned about options other than CBT (the service was very dbt oriented and trained all their AP’s in dbt) and also for exposure to a different group of patients (although I had worked as an hca in secondary care).
But you need to be formidably organised and helpful if you have supportive line managers in both jobs. Mine were and it made so much difference. I was able to choose my work pattern, which meant I could do the first three days in a week as a pwp and the last two as an assistant which really helped with separating the roles. I would also suggest if it’s possible that you work in different trusts for the two roles. Not only gives a comparison (which you can then discuss at interviews) but also prevents the complications of mon-wed trying to refer people to secondary care and then Thursday- Friday trying to find reasons to reject the same referrals!

Happy to answer any further questions or talk through any difficulties if that’s helpful
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing! Well done for getting a place on the doctorate!! I feel service will be a bit more lenient as I know someone else who did this as well. How was managing the work load at first? My biggest concern would be the pay as my current commute to work is very costly so I hope it would be enough

PsychDelight

Post by PsychDelight » Sat May 11, 2019 7:35 am

mungle wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 pm
I've not done thins myself but have heard of others doing it. Some people have canvassed for volunteer assistant psychologist roles for 0.5 to 1 day a week. Potentially, you might be able to arrange flexible working arrangements e.g. 5 days condensed into 4.5 days with your PWP role. Alternatively you could go part-time in the PWP role if you secure a paid AP part-time role.

Also not, not every trainee has been an AP! You might be able to gain new skills in your PWP role.
The volunteer AP role sounds good as well. I've been in and out about whether I'll have a sufficient experience for the doctorate. I know some questions in the interviews can be heavily research based and I've only done research since my UG.

Northernlad

Post by Northernlad » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 am

Yes, I did this. I worked as a PWP for 3 days per week and an AP for 2 days per week. Work-load wise this felt manageable. Particularly as I had worked as a PWP for 3 and a half years before I secured the AP role and was feeling a little burnt out in IAPT - so the AP role kept things fresh and helped me to feel more productive in my other role.

Financially, this was also very do-able. Although my AP role was at band 4, I was a locum PWP with an agency so I received a significantly higher salary than band 5 (although I had to consider holiday/sick pay etc. which was taken as unpaid). I think I was very lucky though as I was able to secure 2 contracts within my local area so had no need to travel across the country like other locums I met.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

NL