How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
ryan95

How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by ryan95 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Been thinking about how I can actually afford to do the counselling psychology doctorate. I have money saved for the fees but I don’t know if I will be able to work a part time job whilst doing it. Is really annoying that the NHS offer no funding for counselling psychologists

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Spatch

Re: How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by Spatch » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:03 pm

From my limited experience, I have seen counselling psychology doctorates funded in lots of different ways.

Some have had funding from parents, especially those who were younger and international students. I had the impression that in their family culture it was their duty was to fund their children's education as long as necessary, and more than one commented that our British way of cutting off young adult children after 18 was questionable parenting. Other than that, I know a few had wealthy spouses who funded their training, some had saved and taken out career development loans to fund their 3 years and another who had obtained some kind of scholarship.

I supervised my first Trainee Counselling Psychologist 2 years ago, and she was doing it part time as a second career. She had saved up prior to enrolling, and still did some part time work to fund herself.
Is really annoying that the NHS offer no funding for counselling psychologists
I met one trainee counselling psychologist who had been an assistant psychologist and managed to get his service to fund his training with the proviso he would return when he qualified to work for them. I don't know how he did that, if that was a routine thing for some services or just something he had negotiated. He was a really nice guy, so it may be he charmed his manager for all I know.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

mungle

Re: How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by mungle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:31 pm

There are now doctoral/postgrad student loans and people get part-time jobs alongside (can't imagine this ever being possible on a clinical psychology doctorate!). I've known people be able to count their existing paid job (e.g. as a AP) as a large portion of placement time but this depends on the course. Some do the counselling psychology doctorate part-time. Some are funded by parents, spouses or savings.

It might be annoying but the NHS already funds another option, CP and people can bide their time and compete for a clinical trainee place. The first clinical course has finally, very belatedly, brought in a part-time option which I hope will open up the profession,

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm

I know of someone in Manchester who got a university-based scholarship. I think it gave them a stipend, a bit like a funded PhD would pay.