My undergrad degree & past are difficult to explain!

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
jazzydwi

Re: My undergrad degree & past are difficult to explain!

Post by jazzydwi »

I would add that its worth carefully considering where you apply, some courses don't specify any required grades, others will view your conversion simply as a GBC tickbox and don't consider the grade achieved, instead asking for a specific undergrad grade, and others will use your conversion in place of your UG.
Fenella

Post by Fenella »

mungle wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:41 pm If it helps, I would state my number 3 to ANYONE considering CP. This is naturally coloured my own experience of training.

I do believe my number 2 question, that there will be strengths you bring because of ADHD.

Sometimes it's so difficult to convey or pick up tone in internet posts! It was useful for me to reflect on how such a question might be interpreted and I'll think about how I do that in discussions in person where I have space and can use tone, body language etc.

I wish you all the best.
Thanks, Mungle. I think anyone would feel defensive indignation at getting accused of being patronising when they didn’t mean to be! Like I said, we can’t read each other’s minds, and now both you & I have given additional context behind the remarks that were made. Again, I am sorry. It’s so easy to get enraged & project all kinds of stuff onto a short paragraph of text, especially when you’re feeling vulnerable.

It seems that a lot of people who dont fit the “typical” CP profile (middle class female in mid/late 20s with flawless academic record) come to this forum seeking advice on what to do about it. You inevitably feel insecure, and sharing such personal information as I did also makes you feel vulnerable & wary of judgment. It can be difficult to avoid preemptive resentment along the lines of “this is such a snobby and elitist profession, they just want cookie cutter applicants, that can’t be helpful to the people they see”, etc etc. (Of course, there are successful applicants who haven’t had substantial challenges in their lives, but nevertheless have the ability/insight. That can be hard for some of us to swallow at times.)

It seems to be a real balance between actively encouraging more diversity in the profession (needed & extremely valuable IMO), and accepting the reality of how demanding/competitive CP is. I do believe adjustments should be made to help diverse applicants succeed - could be anything from considering additional context to someone’s 2:2, to permitting extensions to deadlines, etc. But at the end of the day, applicants need to evidence & be confident in their ability to (among many other things) focus for long periods. Politely questioning that was reasonable, even if it poked my insecurities. Hope you have a good day and get some rest! :D
Last edited by Fenella on Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenella

Post by Fenella »

jazzydwi wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:51 pm I would add that its worth carefully considering where you apply, some courses don't specify any required grades, others will view your conversion simply as a GBC tickbox and don't consider the grade achieved, instead asking for a specific undergrad grade, and others will use your conversion in place of your UG.
Thanks - yes, this seems to vary enormously doesn’t it?!
Randomswirls
Team Member

Post by Randomswirls »

I’d say choose your course carefully think about your academic referee and when it finally comes time to fill in the form use the additional info section wisely!

I know trainees and those pursuing the profession who have a diagnosis of ADHD and so it is doable albeit possibly at times harder due to the additional barriers linked to your undergraduate degree that said if you got a 2:1 you meet the criteria - and that is what counts!
Fenella

Post by Fenella »

Thank you, randomswirls :D Luckily my personal tutor on the conversion is also my dissertation supervisor, so I know who to ask for a reference! I’ve had some more high grades back now too (5 modules graded between 78-85, waiting for another 3, plus dissertation), hoping that will stand me in good stead. I have an eccentric way of working but it seems to be paying off.