Basic Skills In Counselling Certificate

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Tinkerbell1

Basic Skills In Counselling Certificate

Post by Tinkerbell1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:15 am

Hello, I was wondering if any one could tell me a good basic skills in counselling course. I just need the certificate. Preferably around London.

Thank you!

ElizabethB

Re: Basic Skills In Counselling Certificate

Post by ElizabethB » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 am

Hey

I completed the basic counselling skills certificate at TVU (now university of west london) a few years ago....
http://www.uwl.ac.uk/files/Students/pgp ... elling.pdf
http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Ba ... 0/page.htm

I completed this course alongside my UCL MSc. I found the course enjoyable, especially as the course focused on loads of role plays and practicing reflective stuff, but I would have preferred learning about more approaches other than Rogers person centered counselling. The course was open to all (I was the only psychology graduate there). Completion of this course allows for progression onto more advanced counselling courses and eventually leads to qualified counsellor status.

This link seems like a good start in finding relevant short courses.
http://www.emagister.co.uk/web/search/? ... earch&&p=1

The link below lists more advanced counselling courses accredited by the BACP- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
http://www.bacp.co.uk/accreditation/Acc ... /index.php

Best of luck :)
Last edited by ElizabethB on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am different, not less."—Temple Grandin
'A door opened and I went through it!' Temple Grandin
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Tinkerbell1

Post by Tinkerbell1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you so much! That was really helpful :D

semele

Post by semele » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm starting my course next week with WPF Therapy, based near London Bridge. I've been really impressed with the interactions I've had with them so far (interview was very in depth, lots of communication regarding reading lists etc since) and they apparently have a very good reputation.
“People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.”
― Michel Foucault, Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason

rsuk10

Post by rsuk10 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:11 pm

I'm starting the WPF course this week. I feel exactly the same and have been so impressed with them to far. How did you find the rest of the course? What was the experience like for you?

bicycleclips

Post by bicycleclips » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Another vote for WPF here, I did the year's introduction to counselling and pscyhotherapy. Can't rate it highly enough.
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

friday

Post by friday » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:55 am

I'm doing the level 3 diploma (it is really a certificate but it is called a diploma, something to do with funding) at the Mary Ward Centre. I did the 6 week introduction there too. I really enjoy the course, the people are great and the tutors are excellent. There is also CityLit. Both are in central London and they have concessions for people on a low income.

mali

Post by mali » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

I did the certificate at Birkbeck (central London) a few years back. It was an okay course, quite a few essays I recall and intro into different approaches i.e person-centred (Rogers), Psychotherapy etc. Required attendance once a week in the evening, so easy to fit full time work and study.
Good luck deciding.