MSc Route to CP without degree in psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
gp88

MSc Route to CP without degree in psychology

Post by gp88 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi,

I have joined the forum with the view of obtaining some advice on a career-change into clinical psychology.

My academic background isn’t exactly tailored for the traditional route into CP - I have a 2:1 degree in international relations, have served some time in the armed forces as an officer and came out earlier this year. I do, however, have an avid interest in psychology and regularly read & research various topics and approaches within this field.

My ‘plan’ is as follows.

1. Apply for a MSc psychology/clinical psychology for Sep 15 entry. I have seen a number of MSc courses that do not require a degree in psychology that fulfils the “BPS conferring the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership” requirement (Chester Uni, for example).
2. Between now and Sep 15, alongside the MSc course (if possible) and following its completion, I would aim to build a portfolio of relevant practical experience.
3. When the time is right and when I have obtained a credible amount of experience, I would then apply for a CP course.

Please can anyone shed some opinion on whether this ambition is realistic, and/or offer some general advice? :)

blue86

Re: MSc Route to CP without degree in psychology

Post by blue86 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 am

gp88 wrote:Hi,

I have joined the forum with the view of obtaining some advice on a career-change into clinical psychology.

My academic background isn’t exactly tailored for the traditional route into CP - I have a 2:1 degree in international relations, have served some time in the armed forces as an officer and came out earlier this year. I do, however, have an avid interest in psychology and regularly read & research various topics and approaches within this field.

My ‘plan’ is as follows.

1. Apply for a MSc psychology/clinical psychology for Sep 15 entry. I have seen a number of MSc courses that do not require a degree in psychology that fulfils the “BPS conferring the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership” requirement (Chester Uni, for example).
2. Between now and Sep 15, alongside the MSc course (if possible) and following its completion, I would aim to build a portfolio of relevant practical experience.
3. When the time is right and when I have obtained a credible amount of experience, I would then apply for a CP course.

Please can anyone shed some opinion on whether this ambition is realistic, and/or offer some general advice? :)
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
I'm not sure if I understand you fully, but will the MSc give you GBC through the BPS?
http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/member ... mber-mbpss
I know there is a "special case" route, but this would only apply if your undergrad had some psychology courses and then you did a postgrad or were a researcher in the field or author already published. As far as I can tell, I don't think there are any shortcuts for your case. I think you have to at least do the conversion course, even if you can do the Masters without one.

Also, keep in mind that most courses would want a full year of experience, and I am not sure you can get that until Sep 15 2015. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Considering you were in the armed forces, are you interested in returning there to work as a CP? I think I've seen some positions advertised recently. You would have an advantage with your experience. I also think you might be able to reflect meaningfully on your experience and that might set you apart during interviews, but you still need to tick all the required boxes to get there.

In short, check to see if this Masters gives you eligibility for GBC. If it does not, I am afraid you'll have to undertake extra education. Without it, you won't even be able to send your application to courses.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicEntryAcademic.html

You seem to be motivated and organised, which is great, but unfortunately it might take you a little longer than a year to get on the doctorate. If you get a chance to read more on the forum, you'll see that this route is not exactly a clear path.
I would start with the Wikis and go from there. viewforum.php?f=33
Best of luck with your journey!

Glorianne

Post by Glorianne » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:10 am

Hiya,

I think you've got a sensible plan in mind. As Blue said, it might take a bit longer gaining relevant experience but depending on how things progress during your conversion course etc, it might not. Funnily enough, I know of someone who took on a very similar route (diplomacy, working alongside the armed forces, then conversion to psych, experience etc) who is currently on training! Everyone's circumstances are somewhat different, however, but it's definitely worth a shot.

One thing I'd encourage is to not ignore your international relations knowledge when time does come to apply, as this might serve as a unique selling point and give you good grounds to reflect on the role of CPs and what you understand about this. Good luck to you, enjoy the journey!

enid

Post by enid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:16 pm

I think some masters courses are two years, with the first year the GBC conversion. Obviously, yes, it would have to have that. I would also add that it's probably a good idea to work pretty hard on it, most people who do the conversion route to getting GBC seem to get firsts. Then yes, take a few years getting some relevant work exerience. It's not really a path than can be rushed, so it might take a few years...but enjoy it. And good luck.

gp88

Post by gp88 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm

These are all brilliant and very useful replies.

Thank you everyone.