60 credits of Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
NaomiG

60 credits of Psychology

Post by NaomiG » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:27 am

I'd like to apply for the Masters Psychology Conversion course and some unis are specifying applicants have 60 credits of Psychology in their undergrad degree. I studied a Biology degree with no Psychology and therefore have been looking at 60 credit courses. I have found the OU, London Met, Liverpool and Derby offer online courses, does anyone know of any other providers for the 60 credit courses???
Many thanks.

Prosopon

Re: 60 credits of Psychology

Post by Prosopon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:25 am

Staffordshire University do an online 60 credit University Certificate in Psychology. I completed this course a few months ago -- let me know if you want to know anything about it.
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:23 am

Hi there,
Thanks very much for your reply. Did you find it quite a challenge academically or was it easily manageable? I don't have a psychology background at all so i would literally be starting from scratch!!

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:23 pm

NaomiG wrote:Hi there,
Thanks very much for your reply. Did you find it quite a challenge academically or was it easily manageable? I don't have a psychology background at all so i would literally be starting from scratch!!
Hi, I did not find it overly challenging. I ended up passing it with quite a high distinction, and while I did work very hard (and was aiming to get a distinction) part of me feels it was a bit too easy to get the grade I got. I am therefore slightly worried I will struggle academically if I do a conversion course. Then again, maybe it just seemed easy because it was so interesting and enjoyable! But don't get me wrong, it wasn't a complete breeze and I found some elements hard. However, the tutor was friendly and always helpful. He would usually respond to my emails in good time and was good at explaining things.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Surely if you got a distinction then that bodes well for your conversion course, a sign of things to come! Have you applied for any conversion courses?

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:34 pm

NaomiG wrote:Surely if you got a distinction then that bodes well for your conversion course, a sign of things to come! Have you applied for any conversion courses?
Well, you'd think so, but I'm worried I only got a distinction because the course was relatively easy! I honestly can't tell if the course really was easy, or if I was just good at it! :oops: I haven't applied for any conversion courses yet but am planning to in the near future. Are you considering applying for any of the conversion courses that do not require 60 credits of psychology? I felt far too nervous to do that, having been out of education for a long time. I viewed the 60 credit course as a taster to ensure the subject is really to me, and as a tester to see if I am still capable of university-level study!

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:01 am

I'm sure you did well based on your own ability and not because the course was easy! Like you i wanted to use the 60 credits as a bit of a taster and to see if i have any kind of aptitude for the subject, i'd like to apply to the University of Nottingham and they specify 60 credits of psych are needed. What would you be looking to use the Masters for should you pursue it - career or purely for interest?

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:32 pm

NaomiG wrote:I'm sure you did well based on your own ability and not because the course was easy! Like you i wanted to use the 60 credits as a bit of a taster and to see if i have any kind of aptitude for the subject, i'd like to apply to the University of Nottingham and they specify 60 credits of psych are needed. What would you be looking to use the Masters for should you pursue it - career or purely for interest?
Thanks, I hope so!

I am considering trying to pursue a career in clinical psychology, but I'm not 100% set on it yet and am also interested in social work. But I still want to do the course because I have always been drawn to psychology and regret not studying it at university. I only discovered that conversion courses exist in 2014 and it felt like a lifeline because I could never afford to do a second undergraduate degree. How about you, is it for career or interest?

NaomiG

Post by NaomiG » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Career, i suppose no one has the luxury of studying for interest these days unless they are uber loaded!!
The thing is though i'm more interested in the medical side of things then anything else so wonder if i should be looking at post-grad medicine instead.