Can you be a 'psychologist' without a BPS accreditation

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
raglangirl

Can you be a 'psychologist' without a BPS accreditation

Post by raglangirl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

So i have been looking at conversion courses and non conversion MSc courses. There are some amazing courses out there but they are not BPS accredited so if i wanted to pursue a career in Clinical Psychology i would have to do the conversion.

Just wondering if i did an MSc like Psychological Trauma or Neuroscience and Psychology, where could i go with it with it afterwards? If you do this kind of study can this only really lead to research? I am just wondering can you still be a 'Psychologist' without the BPS (i understand you cant be a clinical psych without the BPS). I am a little confused but also think why not study an MSc that really interests me rather than straight Psychology just to get the accreditation. I hope this makes sense!

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
Thank you x

BlueCat

Re: Can you be a 'psychologist' without a BPS accreditation

Post by BlueCat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 pm

You don't need BPS accreditation to be a clinical psychologist. The accreditation you need is HCPC. This is the case for any of the practitioner psychologist titles. Psychologist is not a protected title, so you could "be a psychologist" without any accreditation. In fact, you could call yourself a "psychologist" now, as could my next door neighbour, with no comeback whatsoever.

However, if you mean "will the NHS/social care/public sector generally" employ me as a psychologist without proper accreditation, then the answer is "no, they won't".

If you've already got an accredited degree, then whether or not your masters is accredited won't matter - you already fulfil the criteria of having an accredited degree. The only time you need to worry about accreditation is where your undergrad degree is not accredited, and you want to pursue a career as a practitioner psychologist.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi

There are a few things that you may be thinking about - so just want to check what you mean.

In order to undertake higher level professional psychology qualifications (either doctorates like clinical/counselling or MSc's like health) you need to have an undergraduate/conversion course which meets the minimum standards as set by the BPS, which is termed 'graduate basis for chartered membership'.

http://www.bps.org.uk/what-we-do/member ... mber-mbpss

and you can search for those courses on this:

BPS Directory
http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac

so if you want to train to be a practitioner psychologist (clinical, counselling, health, educational, forensic, health, occupational or sport) than you would need a course which meets that graduate basis for chartered membership.

Once you qualify as one of these, you don't need to join the BPS (you would need to join the HCPC though) and even as an undergrad you don't have to join the BPS (just undertake a course that meets their minimum standards)

In terms of where your MSc could take you - that's a big question - if you don't want to go into professional psychology than any sort of qualification may help you with other posts/grad schemes (because of the transferable skills that come from it, rather than its content).

hope that makes some sense!
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

raglangirl

Post by raglangirl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Thank you so much to you both, i really appreciate the time you took to reply.

I think i am just overwhelmed by the choice, there are so many interesting MSc's out there which i'd love to study but i have to think of costs and where will it take me? I do not have an accredited degree (i studied physio) so if i want to pursue a career as a Psychologist in the NHS then i will have to do the conversion.

I think i worry as I am 30 so by the time i gain enough experience and the conversion it may be a while before i get onto clinpsych (that's if i do!) so its something to mull over and not rush into as it is ultimately a complete life and career change.

Thanks so much again, much appreciated :) x

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm

raglangirl wrote:
I think i worry as I am 30 so by the time i gain enough experience and the conversion it may be a while before i get onto clinpsych (that's if i do!) so its something to mull over and not rush into as it is ultimately a complete life and career change.
I would look at it this way - if you want to go for clinical psychology, you'll need the conversion. If you decide against pursuing clinical psychology, but still want a psychology MSc that will give you valuable knowledge and transferable skills, then a conversion would be just as useful there. You could write your dissertation on trauma or something else that's of special interest to you. If you're really keen on a non-accredited MSc, I'd recommend asking the uni what their graduates have gone on to do with that qualification, if it's known, so you have a good understanding of the possibilities.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

raglangirl

Post by raglangirl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:52 am

lingua_franca wrote:
raglangirl wrote:
I would look at it this way - if you want to go for clinical psychology, you'll need the conversion. If you decide against pursuing clinical psychology, but still want a psychology MSc that will give you valuable knowledge and transferable skills, then a conversion would be just as useful there. You could write your dissertation on trauma or something else that's of special interest to you. If you're really keen on a non-accredited MSc, I'd recommend asking the uni what their graduates have gone on to do with that qualification, if it's known, so you have a good understanding of the possibilities.

That's great advice thank you. I did actually go to look at a uni for a specicifc course, i loved the content but after speaking to students they were already in established careers and so i could not really see where i would go with it. I think you're right at least in an MSc conversion i would have the option of going for clinpsych and could do my dissertation on a topic i was interested in. Thanks so much :) x