Clinical Psychology PhD in United States - questions

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
rachm33

Clinical Psychology PhD in United States - questions

Post by rachm33 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:03 pm

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I would really appreciate any advice about the Clinical Psychology PhD in the United States as an international student.

My questions are as follows:

1. I read that you can not work in VA hospitals or federal agencies as an international student. Can you work in other hospitals that are not VA hospitals?

2. I heard that 200/600 of the postdoc internships are VA hospitals and federal agencies – is it difficult to get accepted to other placements and are there places available in other hospitals?

3. How do you get a visa for your postdoc internship and is it difficult to obtain employment as a Clinical Psychologist as an international student?

4. I know if you work full time for 365 days a year during the PhD you can lose your OPT year after. Is it was easy to negotiate with placement managers during your PhD to work fewer hours in order to keep your OPT for after your graduation?

5. Do you think because of the limitations around working hours it takes longer to complete the PhD as an international student to meet the number of clinical hours required for licensure?

6. If you have completed a PhD in the US which university did you complete your PhD at and would you recommend it, if so why? What was the biggest challenge you faced as an international student?

Thank you in advance for your help. :D
Last edited by maven on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove panic caps from title, as per forum guidance

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Clinical Psychology PhD in United States - questions

Post by maven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm

I don't think we know the answer! But Huwtube might if you PM him, as he has just trained there.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare