Conversion course and AP jobs

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Livia

Conversion course and AP jobs

Post by Livia » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi,

I hope this isn't a stupid question (although I have a feeling it is! :lol: )

I'm hoping to complete the MSc conversion course next year and am starting to think ahead. When looking at person specs for AP jobs, however, they all state "An undergraduate degree in psychology. Entitlement to graduate membership of the British Psychological Society", or similar for the essential section. Would a conversion be acceptable in this instance if it is accredited, despite the wording stating "undergraduate"?

I may be stressing myself out other nothing but I'm beginning to worry I would have less chance progressing in psychology with a conversion MSc compared to people who have gone the more traditional BSc route.

I would really appreciate any advice,
Thanks,
Livia

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Conversion course and AP jobs

Post by maven » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 am

Undergrad or similar qualification conferring GBC is the normal wording, and a conversion is fine.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Livia

Post by Livia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 am

Thank you for your reply!
Last edited by Livia on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Livia

Post by Livia » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 am

maven wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 am
Undergrad or similar qualification conferring GBC is the normal wording, and a conversion is fine.

Thank you for your reply!

Would you say it's worth applying to these positions if they just state "undergraduate degree" with the "or equivalent"?

Thanks

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Yeah, I'd assume that was the intention, even if they are rationing their words for the advert text. I've never known an advert that wouldn't consider a conversion as exactly equivalent.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Livia

Post by Livia » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 am

miriam wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 pm
Yeah, I'd assume that was the intention, even if they are rationing their words for the advert text. I've never known an advert that wouldn't consider a conversion as exactly equivalent.
Sorry for the (very!) late reply, thank you for this! I think I’ve been overthinking a bit too much so appreciate you taking the time to reply. ☺️