Choosing modules for clin Psy masters

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
fifi88

Choosing modules for clin Psy masters

Post by fifi88 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 am

Hello everyone,

I’m an aspiring Clinical psychologist and unfortunately I attained a low 2:1 (61%) at degree level, I am aware that my grade will make it harder for me to be accepted onto Dclinpsy training but I determined to do whatever it takes to get onto the course. I just got a job as a support worker in a mental health hospital (should be starting next month). I’m considering to do my masters next year (sept 2019) since this will subsequently strengthen my Dclinpsy application (I’m hoping to apply in a couple years time); but I’m currently in a pickle, I’m hoping to do my masters at Goldsmiths (MSc foundations in and coin pay and health services) but I noticed they offer two pathways within the course, both pathways consist of 5 core modules: Understanding and Treating Psychological Disorders, Professional Issues in Clinical Psychology, Statistical Methods, Research Design and Analysis, Research Project.

However, I must choose between the Applied Clinical Psychology pathway- a professional placement for 35 days (worth 45 credits) or the Research in Clinical Psychology pathway (45 credits)-3 extra modules: advanced quantitative methods, Applied Research Design in Clinical Psychology, Statistical Data Analysis Project. I’m not quite sure which pathway to pick because the research pathway seems hard and scary with lots of stats and numbers, whereas the applied pathway seems more easier but may not be deemed as desirable to unis… on the clearing house website many unis (Hertfordshire, UCL, Essex) expect low 2:1 applicants to undergo an “academically demanding postgrad course” and attain a minimum of 65% at postgrad. Therefore, it would make sense if I do the applied pathway since it meets the criteria of being academically demanding (that's 8 modules in total), but I’m scared if I don’t achieve a minimum of 65% cause it seems quite hard. I’m just stuck. Can anyone please give me advice?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: Choosing modules for clin Psy masters

Post by hawke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 am

Personally, I think the research pathway would be more valuable. 35 days work experience is not very much in application terms, and could be made up for by a couple of months working full time afterwards. Research is a much more valuable academic skill that would be difficult to attain outside of a university course or research job. The reality is a low 2:1 would mean some universities wouldn't short-list you, so highlighting your research intensive Masters would be important to boost your academic credentials. It would also allow you to demonstrate reflective skills, by recognising a weakness and tackling it head on; making a decision with your head rather than your heart to address it. The gamble is obviously on a lower grade, but I'd argue that without it (or another demonstration of strong research skills), you're going to struggle to prove you're capable of the academic half of the doctorate. I'd also suggest some soul searching - if the stats and numbers and academic rigour scare you, is the doctorate the right pathway for you?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:55 pm

I'd agree with the above. But I have to ask the obvious question - why are you aiming to do a doctorate level qualification that involves a research thesis and understanding the evidence base if research design and stats modules at masters level sound so daunting you don't think you can get 65% overall if those modules are included?

BTW Can I just admire the idea of an MSc in coin pay health services. It certainly feels like that's the way the health marketplace is heading!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

fifi88

Post by fifi88 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 am

hawke wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 am
Personally, I think the research pathway would be more valuable. 35 days work experience is not very much in application terms, and could be made up for by a couple of months working full time afterwards. Research is a much more valuable academic skill that would be difficult to attain outside of a university course or research job. The reality is a low 2:1 would mean some universities wouldn't short-list you, so highlighting your research intensive Masters would be important to boost your academic credentials. It would also allow you to demonstrate reflective skills, by recognising a weakness and tackling it head on; making a decision with your head rather than your heart to address it. The gamble is obviously on a lower grade, but I'd argue that without it (or another demonstration of strong research skills), you're going to struggle to prove you're capable of the academic half of the doctorate. I'd also suggest some soul searching - if the stats and numbers and academic rigour scare you, is the doctorate the right pathway for you?

Thanks for your honest opinion, I've done a lot of soul searching today. I had a lovely chat with the course director which was insightful and I'm really looking forward to starting (I ordered some books just to give myself a head start). I still believe that the doctorate is the right pathway for me... I was just self doubting myself - I've definitely snapped out of it now, cause I know I'm capable of doing well :)

fifi88

Post by fifi88 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:40 am

maven wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:55 pm
I'd agree with the above. But I have to ask the obvious question - why are you aiming to do a doctorate level qualification that involves a research thesis and understanding the evidence base if research design and stats modules at masters level sound so daunting you don't think you can get 65% overall if those modules are included?

BTW Can I just admire the idea of an MSc in coin pay health services. It certainly feels like that's the way the health marketplace is heading!
Hi Maven, to be honest I was completely thrown off by what other former students have told me about the research pathway, labelling it as "intense" . I was also told that only 3 people chose the research pathway last year and a high number opted for the placement. Just by hearing that scared me, and because I got a low 2:1 made me experience self-doubt and have irrational thoughts (that's something quite a lot of people experience at some point in their lives); surprisingly I actually I quite enjoyed research methods and stats in second year. Mental health has always been a huge passion for me and I just need to constantly remind myself of the personal reasons why I want to do the DclinPsy training course rather than focussing on other peoples negative MSc experiences. Perhaps I may enjoy the course and do really well on it. I've definitely put a spring on my step and I'm optimistic. Just to point out I think the course will help me with completing a shortlisting tests as well as the doctorate thesis (when I get the chance to apply and get accepted), with that being said I have decided to choose the intense research pathway and NO ONE will stop me!! have a good evening :)