Psychology Degree Advice

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
mungle

Re: Psychology Degree Advice

Post by mungle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Having gained qualifications from lots of universities and taught at several I feel I can say with some experience that the Open University is not behind the times! In so many ways they are at the forefront.
Random youtube videos do not give a high quality psychology degree. YouTube videos should be carefully selected and critically consumed.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:44 am

Geishawife wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:24 pm
yoyogirl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Hi

Best advice, I can give you is to make use of the youtube and resources outside of the university as they can be a bit "behind" the times and keep active in the forums.
I would be VERY wary of relying on Youtube! Whilst I would fully support the notion of reading widely and adding to "set texts", I really don't think Youtube is to be relied upon! Lots of "fake news" potentially, and you need to be very discerning about what you watch. Also, I'm not sure the OU would appreciate being described as "behind the times" given how respected an institution it is! Be wary of letting your own experiences prejudice you against the wider institution.
mungle wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:47 pm
Having gained qualifications from lots of universities and taught at several I feel I can say with some experience that the Open University is not behind the times! In so many ways they are at the forefront.
Random youtube videos do not give a high quality psychology degree. YouTube videos should be carefully selected and critically consumed.
Likewise, I've only heard positive things about the OU, and would caution against the very random and often entirely misrepresentative content about psychology on youtube.

Also, with my moderator hat on, whilst you have had a negative experience yoyogirl, and you have posted about that before in a way that has been appropriate for this forum, I would remind you about our rules regarding swearing and defamation. Just because you personally had a difficult time with the OU (which you have said was part of a difficult time in your life) does not mean you can write blanket negative statements about the quality of their courses, which are generally held in high regard.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

friday

Post by friday » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 pm

I did my undergraduate degree with the Open University. I found face to face tutorials helpful but didn't find online tutorials that good so if you learn better from discussion then try get to a face to face tutorial. The OU give good guidance for assignments and what constitutes a grade 1/grade 2 etc pass so read that carefully. There are also Facebook groups for most modules which aren't endorsed by the OU. They won't (or shouldn't!) be providing answers or advice for assignments but they are good for moral support and can help keep you motivated when it feels like you're drowning in work.

If you study two modules at once pay close attention to the deadlines and decide whether you work better switching between two topics or whether you work better when you complete one before starting another. That will help you plan your study time.

This is unconventional and I am definitely not suggesting it's for everyone but accepting I leave things until the last minute was helpful for me. I used to spend weeks procrastinating and worrying about procrastinating but when I accepted I work better under time pressure I didn't have the weeks of unproductive stress. I have only ever written one essay not last minute and I got my worst mark ever by a long way. Find what works for you rather than what is supposed to work.