Can an AP apply for a HI CBT course?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Butterfly1921

Can an AP apply for a HI CBT course?

Post by Butterfly1921 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I have a BA in psychology and have been working as an assistant psychologist for the last 4 years. Within my role, I have experience in individual work (under supervision of course!), group work, using diagnostic tools and assessments (SCID, MCMI, PHQ-9, Beck inventories etc). I’ve worked in acute inpatient, community well-being, and family therapy environments.

In terms of ACTUAL training and education, as I said I’m limited to a BA in psychology and various short training courses throughout the last 4 years: a 2 day CBT workshop, a 2 day DBT skills training, a few months of foundation level systemic/family therapy and the odd bits here and there (one day workshops on specific topics).

In my area there is going to be HI CBT course opening for applications and I understand I would need to complete a KSA portfolio due to not having a ‘core profession.’ However, I’ve also read in several forums that assistant psychologists generally don’t have the level of education or experience necessary to successfully complete a satisfactory KSA.

I’ve looked at the portfolio templates and it does seem like a LOT of work, so I suppose before I start on it I’m just wondering…am I completely overreaching? I know nobody can say for definite as it’s individual, but generally, would you think an AP is underqualified? Do most people have masters degrees before doing the KSA?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf