Do I have a shot at getting onto a clinical psychology course with these grades?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
RoryC97

Do I have a shot at getting onto a clinical psychology course with these grades?

Post by RoryC97 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:46 pm

I got a 2.1 undergrad in psychology from Portsmouth, and I think I might get a pass in my MSC in cognitive neuroscience at Durham.

I also only averaged about 62 or 63 overall in undergrad, and got a 42 in my module in clinical psychology in third year, as I went through a phase of wanting to go into academia, left exam revision late, and prioritised other modules. I did, however, get the odd first or high 2.1 in some assignments. I think this year I've messed up a couple of assignments by leaving them late again. Hence, I might only get a pass. I would love to go into clinical psychology, but I don't know if this puts me in a position where it can happen...?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Do I have a shot at getting onto a clinical psychology course with these grades?

Post by Geishawife » Wed May 08, 2019 3:12 pm

You can still get on to the Clinical doctorate with those grades, but just be selective where you apply. Some courses (e.g. UCL or Oxford) might not consider you if you do not have a high 2:1 and only a pass in your MSc. Others (e.g. Lancaster) will not consider your grade at all. Have a good trawl through the course descriptions on the Clearing House website and choose your courses carefully.

hawke

Re: Do I have a shot at getting onto a clinical psychology course with these grades?

Post by hawke » Wed May 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Bear in mind the reason they ask for high grades for the doctorate - you will be doing doctoral level assignments and research. Deadlines come thick and fast, and you will be juggling multiple things at once. If the academic side of things does not come easy to you, it will be a hard 3 years.

My experience of getting on to the doctorate is that you need to stand out from the crowd in some way. If academic grades won't be your thing, you'll need something else. Short-listing tests were my saviour, so I would also recommend reading the short-listing criteria for each university in detail.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu May 09, 2019 2:23 am

I'd say that realistically rules out about 2/3 of courses, and means you will have an uphill struggle to compete for interviews. It might be that with brilliant experience or a great performance on the assessment tasks used in selection by some courses it is possible, but like hawke I'd be concerned that if you've found the discipline of study hard at undergraduate and masters level that doesn't bode well for completing a doctorate with academic, research and placement components that you have to complete in parallel.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 am

This isn't directly related to your question, but it may be useful for you to think about. Do you know why you tend to leave things too late? It's possible to overcome procrastination, or at least to mitigate it. I struggle with this and there are some CBT techniques that I've found really helpful. Sorting this out now will be a help in whatever path you end up taking.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.