Open University Psychology degree.

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
PrinBea

Open University Psychology degree.

Post by PrinBea » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:56 am

Hi there,

I’m in my final year of my ou psych degree and I notice that it’s common knowledge that a 2:2 isn’t great if wanting to get in to clinical doctorate.
However, the ou 2:2 would technically be equivalent to a 2:1 in a brick uni, so would that be taken into account?
Like having a overall score of 69 would be classed as 2:2 with ou but a 2:1 with brick uni.
Has anyone done their degree with the ou, obtained a 2:2 and managed to get on to training?
I’m
Hoping for a 2:1 with the ou but if I don’t achieve this I’ll be so upset.
Thanks.

Tamarra

Re: Open University Psychology degree.

Post by Tamarra » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:26 am

Hi,

I'm afraid a 2:2 is a 2:2.

Not all universities round up - in fact a lot don't. You also have to submit your transcript so course will see your actual scores. I would focus your efforts on ensuring you get a 2:1.

T

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:28 pm

OU calculate their degree grades to be equivalent, even though their marks are higher. So a 2:2 is a 2:2, and will mean only one or two clinical courses will accept an application, even if you go on to do a masters.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a low 2:1 is also going to be a problem for many clinical courses, so you will need to bear that in mind when applying and pick very carefully (though you'd obviously need to gain experience first).

Grade inflation has made a lot of people think of their marks as better than they actually are compared to their peers. Bear in mind that nowadays about a third of students get a first, so it isn't like when I studied and only the top 3% got it and it was a real marker of academic excellence. Every job will now get applicants with firsts. So a 2:1 is now seen as pretty ordinary, and a 2:2 has the standing a third class degree had when I studied.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:48 am

Just for those interested in grade inflation, this documents the movement over the last 20 years nicely, and really focused on the increase to the increase (?!) over the last decade.

Echoing the above, as an OU grad myself I an tell you that whilst the course marks are higher in OU (you might received 88% for an essay that you'd have got 75% for at another university, when this is translated into final course module marks and onwards to degree, that's all taken account of in the mix.

I know a lot of OU grads who got on with firsts, and I know three with 2:1, but I don't personally know anyone who got on with a 2:2. Bear in mind that this is from a straw sample of maybe 80 OU grads that I mixed in some way with, many of whom had absolutely no aspiration to the DClinPsy.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:49 am

Fail, fail again, fail better.

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes, translate your OU mark into the degree classification and go by the degree classification. OU degrees are valued but you will need a minimum of a 2:1 to have a decent chance and try and get as a high a 2:1 or a First if you can.

PrinBea

Post by PrinBea » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am

Miriam,

I’ve just seen a post from you from 2007 where you stayed you got a 2:2 at undergraduate. You are a consultant level psychologist now, so why are you trying to claim that those with a 2:2 have little chance?

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:53 pm

If you're referring to the wiki, I think you've misread it. At the top of it, Miriam clearly states that the thoughts below are those of 2 different forum members, not herself. Not wishing to speak for Miriam (so apologies if it seems like I am) but that was certainly my reading of that post.

PrinBea

Post by PrinBea » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 am

The wiki? Not sure what you mean?
Yes maybe I’ve misread it, apologies if that’s the case.

One other thing I wanted to add is it’s strange how a 2:2 is minimum required for graduate basis for chartered membership, yet should anyone get that class they’re not even considered?

Of course I’m only going on the hypothetical at the moment and I’m on track for a 2:1 as long as I don’t get a lower mark on any final papers.

I see there are still options with a 2:2 though including getting a good masters and experience. And selling yourself at interviews because it’s certsinly true that grades don’t akways reflect potential.

I feel I’ve not been able to ‘shine’ throughout my degree as the essays are so constrictive and we’ve been forced to write about crap like intersectionality. It’s been a very left biased experience, and without wanting to cause any grief on this issue, not all psychologists are left leaning.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:47 am

PrinBea wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:25 am
Miriam,

I’ve just seen a post from you from 2007 where you stayed you got a 2:2 at undergraduate. You are a consultant level psychologist now, so why are you trying to claim that those with a 2:2 have little chance?
Nope, not true. I got a high 2:1, with a raw score of 67%, the fourth best mark in my year group in 1995 and the highest mark not to be given a first (though I did get a first for my dissertation and research, as well as all my clinical modules).

This wiki, which is the post I think you are referring to, is one I compiled from forum posts on the topic - it even says so right at the top!

And 2:2 being a huge difficulty if you are aiming for a career in clinical psychology is a fact, rather than an opinion. Very few courses will even let you apply, and some see it as a major barrier even if you later get a better grade in your MSc.

I'm not even going to start on your views of intersectionality!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 am

One other thing I wanted to add is it’s strange how a 2:2 is minimum required for graduate basis for chartered membership, yet should anyone get that class they’re not even considered?
I have heard this being asked before, and think it's worth picking up on. Firstly, GBC applies to all many areas of psychology not just clinical, and the barriers and thresholds for other psychology training pathways are often different (such as Health, Occupational and Forensic).
I feel I’ve not been able to ‘shine’ throughout my degree as the essays are so constrictive and we’ve been forced to write about crap like intersectionality. It’s been a very left biased experience, and without wanting to cause any grief on this issue, not all psychologists are left leaning.
I say this as someone who identifies as politically central. If you've struggled with the undergraduate syllabus and have found it hard to put your own political beliefs to one side, I suspect you will really struggle with pretty much most DClinPsy courses in the UK (and probably the field in general). There are more right wing psychologists in the US so training there may be a consideration if that is something that is important to you.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

Iggy1

Post by Iggy1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 pm

PrinBea wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 am
I hope this was an off the cuff remark that reflects your disappointment with the content of your course rather than your actual view being that intersectionality is “crap”, because if you can’t understand the importance of the way in which multiple forms of discrimination come together and affect a person’s experience then I think psychology is going to be a difficult field for you to engage in going forward.

Lancelot

Post by Lancelot » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 pm

PrinBea wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:09 am
I would say worry less about possibly getting a 2:2 you can do something about that, work on your attitude. No training course would accept you if they got a whiff of this in the process.