How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
ryan95

How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by ryan95 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Been thinking about how I can actually afford to do the counselling psychology doctorate. I have money saved for the fees but I don’t know if I will be able to work a part time job whilst doing it. Is really annoying that the NHS offer no funding for counselling psychologists

Spatch

Re: How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by Spatch » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:03 pm

From my limited experience, I have seen counselling psychology doctorates funded in lots of different ways.

Some have had funding from parents, especially those who were younger and international students. I had the impression that in their family culture it was their duty was to fund their children's education as long as necessary, and more than one commented that our British way of cutting off young adult children after 18 was questionable parenting. Other than that, I know a few had wealthy spouses who funded their training, some had saved and taken out career development loans to fund their 3 years and another who had obtained some kind of scholarship.

I supervised my first Trainee Counselling Psychologist 2 years ago, and she was doing it part time as a second career. She had saved up prior to enrolling, and still did some part time work to fund herself.
Is really annoying that the NHS offer no funding for counselling psychologists
I met one trainee counselling psychologist who had been an assistant psychologist and managed to get his service to fund his training with the proviso he would return when he qualified to work for them. I don't know how he did that, if that was a routine thing for some services or just something he had negotiated. He was a really nice guy, so it may be he charmed his manager for all I know.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

mungle

Re: How did people pay rent and support themselves doing a counselling psychology doctorate ?

Post by mungle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:31 pm

There are now doctoral/postgrad student loans and people get part-time jobs alongside (can't imagine this ever being possible on a clinical psychology doctorate!). I've known people be able to count their existing paid job (e.g. as a AP) as a large portion of placement time but this depends on the course. Some do the counselling psychology doctorate part-time. Some are funded by parents, spouses or savings.

It might be annoying but the NHS already funds another option, CP and people can bide their time and compete for a clinical trainee place. The first clinical course has finally, very belatedly, brought in a part-time option which I hope will open up the profession,

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 pm

I know of someone in Manchester who got a university-based scholarship. I think it gave them a stipend, a bit like a funded PhD would pay.

reishi

Post by reishi » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:24 pm

People I know are doing it part-time and in the past it was possible to take the independent route (without enrolling at a university), and you wouldn't receive the title "dr" but still become a "counselling psychologist". I don't know whether it is still possible to do that.
"Ever since psychoanalysis was developed, almost everyone is ill one way or another"

hs577

Post by hs577 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi,

Sorry in advance for any typos (typing on my phone).

You can definitely work part-time easily.

Most courses have 2-3 days in the uni course per week and they usually run something like late sept-may. Therefore, on the days you’re in for the course you can do local placements after uni eg 4-8pm and compress paid roles you may have e where possible. (my nhs role that I was in initially in wouldn’t let me have any hours on top of my pwp cases when I’d done my cbt module). However, I did 20 hours per week in that role over 2 days per week and I had a full placement day.

In my 2nd year I got another role working 3 days per week but they’d let me do hours on top of the main role to count towards he courted. So I was so glad I made the decision to leave the other role. Additionally this one was nearer and nhs so I felt really fortunate to be in it.

I also had the summer to increase paid hours eg my role let me increase by a day over summer or placement hours.

I used some money I’d saved up through working before. I’m from a very poor background as I’m from a single parent family. However I always saved eg had a paper round in high school as well as various kitchen porter/kitchen assistant and chambermaid roles some of which were simultaneous in my first year at uni. I’m lucky in other respects as live in the north of England so things are cheaper up here.

Although I have a partner including at the time of the course they didn’t pay anything and I paid the bills with my part time job. I also didn’t get any money from anywhere. When you grow up with nothing you get used to not having a great deal (like many people). I don’t know anyone on my course who had it paid for in part or fulletc by a partner or anyone else. (Everyone had some form of part time job). I needed something that I could also fit my caring responsibilities around but glad to hear clinical routes now offer part time options.

Overall it was hard at times but worth it.

Good luck with it :)