High 2:1? What next?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Donny

High 2:1? What next?

Post by Donny » Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 am

Hello

It looks like I am going to achieve a 66/67% for my BSc psychology. Personally I feel like this is a decent grade but I am not sure if it's good enough for the clinical psychology doctorate. My questions is: would I be required to complete a masters???

I understand universities expect us to have a masters if we get a 2:2 or maybe a low 2:1 but my score is a bit higher than that. My plan is not to do a masters because I just feel a bit tired of education and it seems hard financially. Instead, I'd like to work my way up by working and gaining experience with jobs like healthcare assisstant, assisstant psychologist and volunteering. I feel like I will learn and develop more this way.

I just don't know if it's possible for me to avoid masters with my score. I know some many people do not do a masters but I feel like they all got a 1st. I feel like my grades are the only thing that is set in stone but I can improve on everything else.

VSW

Re: High 2:1? What next?

Post by VSW » Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 pm

I would have a good look through the qualification requirements of courses you might be interested in. As you've mentioned, with your grade a lot of courses would not require an MSc in addition. The requirements are variable though and some universities operate a scoring system where they consider all academic achievement from A-Level onwards. I have just received an offer for training this year and my 2:1 was a lower percentage than yours, having said that I do also have an MSc but that was not a requirement for the course I've been offered a place on.

Thomson94

Post by Thomson94 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi,

Good luck with the remainder of your undergraduate degree. 66/67% is definitely 'good enough' for most courses. I literally just scraped a 2:1 by less than 1% in 2015, however I did then go on to complete a relevant Masters in 2016 to gain further research experience. I'm now halfway through training, so I hope that helps if your potential percentage is concerning you. When I was applying I looked really carefully at what courses I would be eligible to apply for. There are some that are very clear about the minimum percentage at undergraduate they would accept (with or without a Masters).

Once you have your confirmed degree I would look at the courses you're interested in applying for in the future and see whether your confirmed grade would be a barrier for that particular course. Your plan of gaining experience sounds like a good and necessary one. Your ability to reflect on those experiences and how they make you a good candidate for clinical training will be really important.

hawke

Post by hawke » Wed May 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Definitely have a look at the short-listing procedures of courses you are interested in. For example, I got rejected from 1 course for not meeting the academic threshold with a distinction on a Masters conversion course. Many courses will include things like published research in their academic scoring, and some will use short-listing tests to screen out/supplement short-listing.

My experience of getting a place was that you need to stand out from the crowd in some way. A 2:1 won't make you stand out, but there are plenty of other ways to do so without getting a Masters.