Foreign Master's Degrees

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
dnnrine

Foreign Master's Degrees

Post by dnnrine » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I would really like to do a master's in Psychology in Berlin. I know it isn't really a necessity for getting assistant jobs or onto the doctorate, I just really want to live in Berlin and challenge myself linguistically. If I were to get a German master's, would it carry as much weight as one from an English university? I presumed it would, as the universities I'm looking at rank highly worldwide. However, my coworker told me that sometimes employers prefer to see degrees from English universities.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Foreign Master's Degrees

Post by Geishawife » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:31 pm

I don't think it's a question of British vs German degrees. It's more about whether the degree is recognized by the relevant bodies such as the BPS. If you're wanting to boost your academic profile it's best to check if the degree you're planning to do is recognised or not before embarking on a potentially costly exercise. You might also need to consider how the degree is delivered. As a general rule, "taught" MScs are not as highly regarded as those done by research. If you're looking to do this purely for you, of course, these issues are not as important. But it's likely to be a costly exercise and you need to be clear about your motivation to do it and the costs vs the benefits. Also, don't forget that you also need experience. You might be better off aiming to get some clinically relevant work under your belt.

banzay

Re: Foreign Master's Degrees

Post by banzay » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:46 pm

I did a Master's in the Netherlands and I started the doctorate this year, I think Germany and the NL have a similar education system.

I think if you have a BPS accredited undergrad and you meet the academic requirements of the unis you're applying to, then having an MSc from abroad isn't an issue.
I lived in Berlin for a few months and had a great time! the cost of living is really affordable, the quality of life is high, the cost of higher education is also very low and they have some great Universities. Most masters over there also require you to do an internship, so you could develop some research experience or even clinical experience if your german is that good (I came back to the UK for my internship and that's how I got my first AP job).

I'd say go for it!