Clinical psychology access

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
SamD

Clinical psychology access

Post by SamD »

Hi,
I’m currently studying for my MSc in psychology ( not accredited by the bps) I would like to continue on to a clinical psychology doctorate. However my degree is criminology. How would I obtain the relevant experience to access this course and would any extra studying be required b4 applying for the doctorate? Thank you
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Clinical psychology access

Post by Geishawife »

The primary requirement for the CP doctorate is a degree that is accredited by the BPS as giving you GBC. If you do not have this, no amount of experience will get you onto the clinical doctorate. You MUST have an accredited degree. Given this, I'm afraid you will definitely have to do extra studying in order to obtain GBC. This could be through a conversion course, of which there are many to choose from. Whichever course you choose, do make sure it is BPS accredited BEFORE you start! I don't wish to sound harsh or critical, but it's unfortunate you didn't look into things a bit more before starting your current MSc as you could have opted for a credited conversion MSc straight away rather than spending money on a course that, whilst it could well be interesting and enjoyable, will not help with your career aspirations. Sorry if that sounds unfair, but it is definitely worth doing your research in advance.
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Sorry. that should say GBR!! It was GBC in my day, and I still occasionally slip up and use the wrong term! Nonetheless, the point still stands.
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Otherway round, geishawife, now GBC, used to be GBR. So your point was not only correct in content, but correct in acronym also.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

miriam wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:39 pm Otherway round, geishawife, now GBC, used to be GBR. So your point was not only correct in content, but correct in acronym also.
DOH!! :roll: :roll: In my defence, it's been a pretty hectic and torrid few weeks :( :(
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam »

Geishawife wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 pm DOH!! :roll: :roll: In my defence, it's been a pretty hectic and torrid few weeks :( :(
Sorry to hear that. I can empathise. I've also got lots going on both personally and professionally, and in the wider socio-political picture things seem pretty bleak too, which is quite energy-sapping.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com