Struggled with my masters

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Karl105

Struggled with my masters

Post by Karl105 »

I managed to get a 2:1 during my undergrad but only got a pass at 59% for my masters. Really worried this is going to look bad on applications that I make. I’m working as a pwp right now in IAPT and have been here 2 years.

Would I be considered for the doctorate or would I be wasting my time.
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Struggled with my masters

Post by Geishawife »

There is no absolute answer to this. Courses vary as to how much consideration they give to degree classification. Some will not consider you if you have a low 2:1 and only a pass at MSc level. Others use selection tests and will not consider your grade at all other than ensuring it confers GBC. I would suggest you look at the individual course requirements on the clearing house and pick the courses you apply to based on that. You would definitely be considered by some courses and, no, it would not be a waste of your time so long as you apply to those that are less specific about degree classification.
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Struggled with my masters

Post by miriam »

It depends a lot on the percentage for that 2:1, as most courses want either a high 2:1 (67% or above) or the equivalent at masters level. However, some courses, like Lancaster, don't care - provided you do well in their assessment days.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com