Educational Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Sylviee

Re: Educational Psychology

Post by Sylviee » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:25 am

For Sylviee who was asking about attachment theory - this is seen a hugely important in my service, both in terms of EPs being knowledgeable and conversant in it and its implications for children's emotional health and wellbeing and readiness to learn, and in terms of us being able to share this with other professionals such as teaching staff, and other clients. As just two examples, I have recently delivered a keynote speech at a local autism conference based on Heather Moran's "Autism or Attachment?" work, and some EP colleagues are in the middle of delivering attachment awareness training for foster carers. With regards to the research underpinning it, as with most theories it's an ongoing and evolving field, but the Bowlby theoretical work and more recent work by Kim Golding and Louise Bomber get cited a lot.
Thank you for this Choir Girl! That is really helpful to know. :)

aspiringpsych

Post by aspiringpsych » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:18 am

RossPsych

Thanks so much for your reply and insights/advice :) Very helpful as I don't know much about it. Also thought I would ask, would you or anyone else recommend something I could read, like a core book on Educational Psychology and more about the EP role as you mentioned, or is the BPS or another website just as useful?

Phatoss

Re: Educational psychology

Post by Phatoss » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Imipod wrote: Would an honorary assistant clinical psych position working with adults look bad? E.g. as if I'm trying to hedge my bets and apply for both?

Anyone currently on the training or already an ed psych who can give me advice?
Hi Imipod, I just thought I'd add my two cents here:

I'm a first year trainee (4 weeks old!) on one of the courses in Ireland. I had nearly three years NHS CAMHS experience at the time of my interview and had just started with an adult LD service (which I got after I applied for the course). One of the interviewers picked up on this and commented that my range of experience looked like it was geared towards clinical psychology (which, to be honest, was true!). I was truthful about it and I explained that it was because after graduating I'd had it in mind to do other or the other, which they satisfied with. I was then able to explain to them how my adult LD work was relevant, as it focused on administering cognitive assessments. I think that given I had already fulfilled the entry criterion of "two years experience wiht children & adolescents in a community or educational setting", I was able to talk about how I could apply my skills in that setting, which was a bonus.

I can only speak from my own interview and application experience but it sounds like you've got a lot of relevant school-based experience (and so you meet the criteria for experience), so it might be good to have an opportunity to work in a psychological setting as well. We had a talk from the head of an educational psychology service this week, who told us that she tends to hire qualified EPs who have that bit more experience of working in a psychological setting.

As I said, this is just one perspective but I hope it's helpful.

Imipod

Post by Imipod » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice! It's all really helpful and has given me lots to think about. I'm a bit stuck still on how to demonstrate I've applied psychology in my work with children- I have to a certain extent but I don't know if I can be convincing enough. I suppose I really need a job where I'm in more direct contact with psychologists and I'm also working with children- argh, so tricky!

Imipod

Post by Imipod » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:39 am

So now I have an interview for assistant EP job next week- any good advice? Interview do's and dont's? Scared! :shock:

RossPsych

Re: Re: Educational Psychology

Post by RossPsych » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 am

aspiringpsych wrote:RossPsych

Thanks so much for your reply and insights/advice :) Very helpful as I don't know much about it. Also thought I would ask, would you or anyone else recommend something I could read, like a core book on Educational Psychology and more about the EP role as you mentioned, or is the BPS or another website just as useful?
Hi aspiringpsych,

This would be the first book I'd look too - easy read and covers some of the main issues still out there today:

Educational Psychology: Topics in Applied Psychology (TAP) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/034092893X/ ... mub0C34X6H

There are then some more theory based books (Frameworks for Practice in Educational Psychology) and I'm particularly interested in B.Kellys new release on Implementation Science, but the above is definitely where I'd start.

Dont forget if buying to go through the Clin Psy Forum links (it helps support the site)

Cheers

Ross

RossPsych

Re: Re: Educational Psychology

Post by RossPsych » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 am

Imipod wrote:So now I have an interview for assistant EP job next week- any good advice? Interview do's and dont's? Scared! :shock:
Congratulations Imipod thats great news!

I think there's a lot of valuable advice in this thread and others for interviews, and I'd take confidence that by being short listed they already think you're capable of doing the job. I always see interviews as a chance to sell not just what you know/have learnt but importantly who you are.

Good luck!

tessica1

Post by tessica1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 pm

aburke85 wrote:Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some information on the Ed Psych course.... specifically regarding statistics. Obviously since its a PhD I know there will be a large amount of research involved, but I was wondering how advanced it is? I would not consider myself to be very strong at stats. I have done an MSc, and I got a distinction for my dissertation, but I don't feel I did very 'advanced' statistics. I created a questionnaire to measure teacher attitudes to students mental health, and I used correlation, regression, and t-test. I have a feeling this level of stats would not be enough for PhD research, and this aspect of the course is the only thing making me think I might not be able for it. What has been your experience so far?
Hiya, my experience of the research so far is that it can be very varied and dependent upon a persons interest. It's slightly different to typical phd research as the doctorate course runs research alongside placements and other activities rather than just being a three year research course.Therefore the research whilst very important is not the main focus of the course (from my experience anyway)

I have limited experience with statistics, probably less than you and am doing a quantitative-qualitative mixed methods study, others have chosen just qualitative. So I think you will be fine :-) good luck

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:24 pm

aburke85 wrote:Obviously since its a PhD
It's not a PhD. It will sound pedantic to say so, but please make sure you understand the difference between a PhD (which the training is not) and an Applied Doctorate (which it is). They are separate things, and you might risk sounding as if you haven't done your homework properly (or don't have a clear idea of what you're applying for) if you talk about "the PhD" on your application form, or at interview. HTH :)

And also, what tessica1 said! I am the least stats-minded person in the world (my brain simply does not understand stats *at all*), but I managed to get through my thesis OK. In fact, I think because I stuck so rigidly to the letter of the stats manual I was using to help me crunch all my quantitative data, that section of my thesis was the only one I didn't get asked a single question about at viva... it can be done!! :lol:
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 am

Can anyone who is currently doing the training or working as an educational psychologist, give any indication as to what the hot issues are in educational psychology at the moment, please?
I know the introduction o the EHC plans will be one of them (at least I assume so as we are currently working on these for pupils at our special school). I subscribe to EPNET but there seems to be a whole range of different topics and I'm not sure which would be worth investigating further.
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Sylvie

daydreamer85

Post by daydreamer85 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:33 am

Hi everyone! I have been follwoing this thread for ages and i am now ready to apply this year! Woohoo! Just wondering if anyone was having any technical trouble registering with the AEP?? Good luck to this years applicants. :D

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:21 am

Me too! First year of applying as well. I have had to reset my password each time and now even that way won't let me on so I have emailed the aep. Also one of my referees was having trouble logging on and has emailed them for support.
Going to the Nottingham open day tomorrow, quite excited! :)

Lon1burr

Application

Post by Lon1burr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:29 am

Hi,
I am ready to start the application after a few years of tough work experience after my psych degree (worried/excited).

Firstly, does anyone have any general advice on the application, my first draft is all about my work experience and what I have learnt in respect of making me a good candidate for the course. However, I have not gone into too much detail about my degree, or referred my work experience back to psychological theory. Is this something I should focus on more?

Secondly, does anyone know if the interviews are around the same time each year and if so when? (I have a holiday booked and am worried that in the very small chance I get an interview i won't be here :s)

Good luck to everyone applying

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Lon1burr, I don't think you need to talk too much about your degree unless it's about research experience. I would definitely refer any discussion of work experience back to psychological theory. At least those are just my opinions! :)
Since the interviews need to be completed by the first of April, I imagine they can be anytime during February and March. I don't thinkthey happen in January but could be wrong about that. I have a holiday booked during the February half term but I don't think they interview during that time (???) You could always email the individual universities you've applied for to find out.

daydreamer85

Post by daydreamer85 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi sylviee, good luck!! Yes, my referees have had trouble logging onto the system aswell. Hopefully they will be successful soon as I'm ready to send my application. How was the open day at Nottingham? Is that the only uni you are applying to? Good luck again.