Educational Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Xani

Re: Educational Psychology

Post by Xani » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey, I've been watching this thread for what feels like a very long time now, reading all the posts with great interest. I've finally registered and have a few questions of my own.

I'd like to apply for 2015 intake but I'm uncertain whether my work experience meets the minimum requirements, I'm worried It's too heavy on the voluntary side. I've been working as a PSA for two and a half months, I was a voluntary teacher at a school in Africa for a year and I've been a voluntary supportive flatmate for youth at risk, sporadically, for about a year in total too. I'll be continuing the PSA and supportive flatmate work throughout the year, but come September, I'd really like to be doing something else.

As a backup of sorts, I've been looking at MSc courses in Holland and I've found a few that look great, and relevant, however they aren't BPS accredited. Is accreditation that much of an issue for an MSc?

I'll probably phone and see if I can get some answers from admissions people, but I'd appreciate any comments from anyone in the group.

Keanu

Post by Keanu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm

i think the most important thing is how you apply psychology theories to your work and do you have any GBC accredited psychology degree (or conversion programme). all that matters

lozzamm

Post by lozzamm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum trying to get a feel for how to approach the application. I'm applying for the first time this year too. I'm fairly sure there's next to no chance I'm going to get accepted, but thought I would have even less chance if I didn't apply. All my work experience so far is part time only, is this likely to give me a severe disadvantage? So far, I've worked part time as a teaching assistant, support worker, Play therapist, academic mentor, playworker and contact worker over the past four years whilst studying - will this experience count for much as it's part time? I've also done a few other things that I'm hoping might make me stand out.

Good luck to everyone else applying.

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Daydreamer, thanks, I'll need it :)! All the best for your application too! My referee ended up asking for a Word document to fill in and send off. The Nottingham Open morning was really good. There seemed to be a focus on problem solving and solution focused work, at least these words kept being mentioned. I am also applying to Sheffield and Birmingham but I wasn't able to attend their Open days. Where are you applying to?

Lozzam, I don't think you would be disadvantaged from having done part-time work. I think they said that so long as you worked somewhere for a sustained period of time (e.g. at least 3 months) and that the total amounts to at least 1 year's (full time?) worth of experience then that's OK. All the best!

daydreamer85

Post by daydreamer85 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:37 am

That's great Sylviee! Sounds like the open day was really informative. I am only applying to Newcastle, i live in the North East and im not able to travel as far as Manchester or Sheffield. This reference thing is making me nervous! Was your referee able to get a word document? Mine has asked, but the request wasnt responded to. :?

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:12 am

Yes, it was all fine in the end. The reference has now been received.They take a few days replying but are helpful when they do. All the best with your application! :)

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:50 pm

There's an Assistant Educational Psychologist post currently being advertised at Coventry City Council - closing date 24th November: http://www.wmjobs.co.uk/careers/details ... K&mask=wmj
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

jld122

Post by jld122 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Anyone else having difficulty logging into the EPFT application form?

I've emailed multiple times regarding the matter changed email address, used different PC's etc but to no avail. I've even offered to send screenshots as I'm completely at a loss.

daydreamer85

Post by daydreamer85 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:08 am

Hi jld122,

I think a couple of people have had trouble logging in. Which part are you struggling with. I have emailed them and got a response pretty quickly.

jld122

Post by jld122 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Hi
I can't seem to log in. After I type in my password and memorable word, I am told the details I have typed in are incorrect. When I try to reset my log in details,I get as far as typing in my temporary password and I'm asked to type in my memorable word again (instead of being redirected to change my password).

After contacting admin a few times to let them know I had followed all the necessary steps, they offered to call me. Unfortunately, they can only do this during my office hours which has proven difficult as I'm a therapist who works in clients' homes. I'm hoping it will all be resolved by this week. Fingers crossed!

Sylviee

Post by Sylviee » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:10 am

Hi,
Can anyone shed some light on the key changes to the practice of educational psychology at the moment, please?
I know that statements are being converted to EHC plans as we are doing this at my special school at the moment.
Also, that ed psy services are now being offered to young people up to the age of 25. Is there anything else major that i should be aware of, please?
Thanks
Sélène

pgtips

Post by pgtips » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi Imipod (and all)

I noticed you said that you've just finished your psychology conversion. Can I ask where you did it and which university/course you decided to pursue? I'm currently looking into which one to go for (London based) so would love to hear from anyone that has an opinion on where to do the conversion MSc.

Thanks!

jbbelfast

Post by jbbelfast » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Hey guys,

There are a lot of pages on here and can't seem to find an answer specific to my question. I'm looking to apply to DECAP at Queens University Belfast and got a few questions regarding the application. So anyone with experience applying to this course would be great!

Basically, within the relevant experience section the guidance notes state you must list all employment in chronological order. But in the same section it refers to list relevant experience. I have a lot of mixed employment since I left school (I'm 27 years old and took me a while to go to University), for example, laboratory work, retail, volunteering, support work and teacher training.

So with regards to my relevant experience and chronological employment, I have listed all types of employment and given a remark regarding how it is relevant to the application. Also there is a clear distinction between each types of employment so I have got my somewhat unrelated (laboratory, retail) on one page and related on another (teacher training, volunteering, care work).

Does this seem appropriate to do it this way?
Is it correct to cover all aspects of employment and state how it is relevant, in terms of personal development etc?

Thanks in advance guys!

Imipod

Post by Imipod » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi pgtips,

I did my MSc conversion course at the University of Westminster. It was a good course and ticked all the boxes in terms of getting GBC. I would recommend it to others. However, I think if I was in your position I'd look at UEL (University of East London) since they also do a conversion course. The benefit of going to UEL is that they also offer the doctorate in Educational Psychology as well as in Clinical Psychology. I can't help feeling that if I'd been there I might have been able to make some useful contacts and meet current students on the EP doctorate course.

I'm not sure about any of the other conversion courses.

Good luck!

Chatters1985

Post by Chatters1985 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Have people started getting interviews for the course? I've been short listed for Newcastle but I wasn't successful for Bristol. So all hope lies with the toon! Eeek