Educational Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
choirgirl

Re: Educational Psychology

Post by choirgirl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Absolutely yes, Early Years teacher is seen as relevant experience. What makes you concerned that it might not be? It is still an educational setting; EPs do not work just in 'school' (5-16) settings, but are expected to work across - and therefore have skills and experience across - all kinds of settings for learners from birth right up to age 25. I personally do a good deal of my day-to-day work in nurseries and pre-school settings, carrying out observations and/or assessments for different purposes to do with early intervention and support, and also Child Develoment Centres where children are at the starting point of being identified with additional needs, working as part of a multi-disciplinary team. I really enjoy this part of the job!

By the way, don't be too quick to dismiss all your skills from your previous career in business as totally irrelevant. I'm sure you have lots of skills that are highly transferable to EP, such as time management, working under pressure of deadlines, communication skills, report-writing, etc :)

Congratulations to stargazerlilli on getting a training place, and to others who did too :cheers: A Graduate Psychologist friend of mine also got on, so her service will hopefully be advertising for another Grad to start in September. (Service in the Midlands)
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

russj

Post by russj » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Choir girl can I be cheeky and ask what part of the midlands that is?

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:41 pm

russj wrote:Choir girl can I be cheeky and ask what part of the midlands that is?
I'm sorry - I can't say at present - I don't want them to get inundated with enquiries before it's been agreed for definite that the post will be re-advertised and funding for it etc is secure! I'll post a link on here to the relevant website if and when it goes live.

stargazerlilli

Post by stargazerlilli » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 pm

choirgirl wrote: Congratulations to stargazerlilli on getting a training place, and to others who did too :cheers:

Thank you Choirgirl! :D So happy to be joining the ranks :sunny:

Congrats to the others who also got a place too this year!
"When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new".

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Wed May 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi,

The aforementioned Graduate Psychologist vacancy (my friend's post) has just been advertised via EPNET, with the
following details.

-------------------------------------

"At Telford & Wrekin EPS we are now advertising for a Graduate Psychologist from September 2015 (1 year contract). The vacancy has arisen due to our current Graduate Psychologist's success in gaining a place on the EP initial training doctorate, starting in September.

Details of the vacancy can be found on Telford & Wrekin Council's website, or via WMJobs: http://www.wmjobs.co.uk/careers/details ... K&mask=wmj"

evangelinesmum

Post by evangelinesmum » Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 am

Thanks choirgirl your post really helped! After reading your reply I managed to secure a job working as a toddler nursery nurse and have an interview for the employer route to become an early years teacher (pgce). It's not qts unfortunately but hopefully still give me good experience and expand my knowledge. Plan to spend a couple of years getting experience and then tackle applying for the doctorate, aware it might take a number of tries though! Anyway very excited at this pathway to getting experience so thanks again.

rebeccalouise

Post by rebeccalouise » Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 am

Hello All,

I'm about to quit my ultimately unfulfilling but well paid job to become a teaching assistant in a local school and start building up experience as an Ed psych. I was put off going into it straight after I graduated because of all the insecurity about funding. But I thought, if not now then when?

I just wondered if there was anyone in the same boat (or who used to be in the same boat) as me. I'm hoping you could give some advice on how to make the best of a TA role with regards to applying for Ed Psych? Is it a good way of gaining the right experience? I don't have any plans to train as a teacher though, are there any other roles I could look at going into afterwards to gain more experience?

If there are any ex- TAs who are now TEPs or EPs I'd love to hear from you.

daydreamer85

Post by daydreamer85 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:18 am

Hi RebeccaLouise.

I have been offered a place on the doctorate for this September and although I wasn't a TA, I thought I would let you know about my work experience and how it was different from teaching. I did do my PGCE teaching sixth form psychology, but did not complete my NQT year. Instead I worked in FE in a pastoral support role supporting students with emotional and behavioural issues. I'm sure your TA experience could help you get into something in a similar role, if you don't want to go into teaching. You could also work within SEN departments within schools or colleges which would be good experience.
Good luck!

Daydreamer85

ashgirl

Post by ashgirl » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi

There's a lot of information about what experience people have when getting onto the clin psych course but I can't find a whole lot about ed psych, most stories seem to be people retraining later in life... I'm not sure whether I'm in a position to be thinking about applying this year, I've actually been aiming for clinical psychology until I began working in a school with SEN and really enjoyed and was interested in the educational side of it so a lot of my experience is now a little less relevant which is a shame but I still think I've learnt a lot of transferable skills.

Basically I got a 1st at undergrad studying Social Psychology (GBR accredited). During my final year I volunteered with adults with mental health difficulties a few hours a week, working in mental health drop ins... spent the holidays helping out with holiday clubs for children with disabilities, day trips, in school clubs and weekend activity breaks. Post uni I spent a year as a support worker with adults with learning disabilities and the last year I have worked as an LSA in a mainstream school doing in class support, mentoring, key worker-ing and running remedial sessions for English and Maths. In the evenings I've been volunteering as an RA and have two papers in press and one about to be sent to publishers. The focus of my research has been adults with ID.

I feel like I've learn a lot from every single thing I've listed there but from what I've seen of courses it seems that all my work with adults will count for nothing and my RA work as well. I feel I've learnt a lot of really useful things working with adults in terms of interaction and communication, working with someone more severely disabled and of being creative in finding solutions to difficulties and so on. I also understood that ed psychs are often involved with research so I feel my higher level research skills and proven ability to produce a publishable paper is important. Aside from this the focus of my research (communication with adults with ID) has taught me a lot about my own practice and a lot which can be applied to children. Can I use these things as experience when I apply? I feel like my CV is relatively good with them but looks pretty weedy without...

PeteR

Post by PeteR » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:00 pm

*ash*, I can't believe you think your application sounds weedy; your experience all sounds superb, relevant and far-ranging to me. I don't think you'll have a problem getting on.

AngelP

Post by AngelP » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi 'Ashgirl'

I was just catching up on the feed and noticed your post. It sounds like you already have some really good and invaluable experience. I wouldn't discredit any of it.

I have similar experiences to you in that I was initially interested in pursing clinical psychology, and so I volunteered with MIND for a year as a support time and recovery volunteer, and then I worked as an Honorary Assistant Psychologist at a charity for youth offenders and prisoners. Following this I worked briefly in another paid Assistant Psychologist position, and within this time I did some work with a boy with a diagnosis of autism, it was this experience that lead me to my current role where I work in a school for children and young people with autism. A recruiter saw my CV online and put me forward for the role; it's a school that uses Applied Behaviour Analysis as an approach to teach the students, I thought this looked like an interesting role and so I went for it. It's only since working in the school and really enjoying my role that I have decided to pursue a career in Ed Psych - similar to your experience of working in a school with SEN.

Having been in this role for under a year at the time, I applied for a place on the doctorate course (Dec 2014), most courses ask for 2 years at least working with children in the community or in a educational setting, so I was really surprised when I got shortlisted for interview. Unfortunately I wasn't offered a place but I intend to apply again this year with even more experience behind me. So my point is, it wasn't just my experience in an educational setting that got me an interview, it's about how all of your previous experience and skills come together and make you an appropriate candidate for a place on the doctorate, and this is what has to be demonstrated clearly in your personal statement (and interview). It's worth looking at the role of an Educational Psychologist, and keeping in mind all of the components that make up the job, and trying to guide your experience around that, so that when you come to apply you can talk about your role and how it links to the work of an educational psychologist.

They also like to see that you are able to reflect on your own practice, given your last post, it is clear that this is something you are able to do. With regards to the research, this is definitely something you should discuss. A huge part of my experience has been conducting research (uni, AP posts and current role) within which I have used lots of different approaches and designs and have gained an understanding of using both qualitative and quantitative methods of investigation. As you say research is an important aspect of the role of an EP, and this is actually one of the aspects that I scored well on in my interview (they provide you with a pretty comprehensive feedback following the interview).

Before I applied, like you I didn't think I had nearly enough relevant experience, but I thought I'd apply anyway and I was shortlisted for interview, so you're experience counts for a lot, its just about building on it now and tailoring it towards the role of an EP.

Sorry about the essay, I'll stop blabbering now! Hope this has helped a little!

netball123

Post by netball123 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi all,

I am about to enter my third year of my undergraduate Psychology course and have aspirations of applying for the Ed Psych course.

I have been working part time at an afterschool and holiday club for the past four years working with children aged 4-14. I currently volunteer as a classroom assistant in a primary school and have had the chance to shadow a practicing EP (I hope to do a few more of these shadowing sessions next summer). I’ve also chosen a dissertation topic that links to EP.

I’m aware I can’t apply for the programme until the October after graduation so in that year I hope to find work as a TA or assistant EP (I’m aware I would be lucky if a position came up in my local area). I want to apply as soon as I can as I know many people spend years trying but do you think I stand a chance applying a year after graduation? Or is it generally older people with lots of experience who get a place?

I appreciate your responses :)

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi netball123,

Yes, I do think you stand a chance of getting an interview if you submit a good application form with your current and (hopefully) post-graduation experience. And no, it's not all mainly "older people" with reams of experience who get the places! In my training cohort, our age span (at starting) was from 23 to 37.

As AngelP puts it very nicely in the post above yours, the crucial factor is how well you can demonstrate that your knowledge, skills and experience come together to make you a suitable candidate for EP training. You can start to help yourself with this now, by linking what you are learning/have learned in your university psychology modules with your practical, hands-on work experiences. For example, have you learned things about theories of child development or learning which you have then been able to observe 'in real life' in the children in your holiday clubs, or which have helped you in your role as a classroom assistant? How has what you know about psychological approaches or methods made a difference to your ability to support children's learning and/or wellbeing? The more clearly you can describe that, and also demonstrate that you understand the role of the EP and how the EP fits into systems such as schools, local authorities etc, the better chance you are giving yourself of putting in a strong application which will be viewed positively.

Hope that helps. Best of luck :)

netball123

Post by netball123 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Choirgirl,

Thanks for the response, it was very reassuring!

I have an open evening at one of the Universities offering the doctorate program in a few months so am hoping the staff there will also be able to give some advice on what post-grad experience is particularly useful in relation the course, did anybody here do a masters in Psychology of Education? As that is another option I am considering for next year after I graduate instead of a full time job.

wannabeedpsych

Post by wannabeedpsych » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:01 pm

hi everyone!

I am also thinking of applying this year but I am worried I wont meet the criteria all because of a poxy 2:2 I got 12 years ago when I did my BSc Psychology. Although I still qualified for GBC. Over the past 12 years I have had lots of experience from youth work, youth homelessness, mental health, autistic residential school, social care (child protection and troubled families) and currently as an Education Welfare Officer at a mainstream secondary school.

I am also studying a MEd at Birmingham Uni in Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties. I have completed my first year which is equivalent to a post grad cert.

Will my 2:2 hold me back??! My tutor is an Ed Psych and said that equal opportunities should not count it but AEP said that if you have a 2:2 you are automatically put in a different pile where only a handful are selected! Which seems unfair

I was a different person in my early 20's at Uni and have done well in my post grad so hope it will be ok....but feel a bit despondent....:(

Gonna try anyway this year and see how I go. The application process seems daunting! :shock:

xxx