Educational Psychology

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
YumYum

Re: Educational Psychology

Post by YumYum » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:16 pm

wannabeedpsych - If it helps I managed to get a place with a 2:2 :D . I'd also gone back and completed a Master's degree before applying.

wannabeedpsych

Post by wannabeedpsych » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi Yum yum
Thank you!! You have filled me with hope! Just started my second year of the masters (3 yr part time course) so will start trying to apply and see where we go....

:lol:

PsychGradLin

Post by PsychGradLin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for part-time volunteering or postgrad related to Ed Psych? I currently work as a social researcher within the education, children and family policy area but wish to use some of my free time to learn more (especially regarding the application of Psychology) through practice/ study. I did a module in Educational Psychology during my degree and my parents are both teachers so I have grown up with talk about the education system over dinner! I am definitely interested in using the knowledge I've gained through research to inform my practice as a potential Ed Psych. Through work I've volunteered to be a supervisor for a pupil's extended project qualification, and am currently looking into Childline (though I'm not sure if face-to-face volunteering may be more valuable to Ed Psych) and part-time ABA tutoring.

Many thanks!

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:21 pm

Email received this morning from the AEP. Good luck! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

The application system for the Educational Psychology Funded Training (EPFT) scheme is now live.

If you know anyone who wishes to apply they will need to follow this link http://www.aep.org.uk/training/

The applicant will need to read through the information on this webpage thoroughly, as well as the manuals that are attached at the bottom of the linked webpage before applying.

Any questions can be forwarded to this email address: EPFT@aep.org.uk

Kind regards,

Michael
EPFT Project Administration
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

SilverMay

Post by SilverMay » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Hello, I am someone who would love some advice!

I am thinking of apply for D Ed Psych for the 2016 intake. My worry is that maybe my experience isn't relevant enough as a lot of it was done over seas.

I did a module in Educational Testing as part of my undergraduate Psychology degree. The part which interested me the most was how to teach those with English as a second language and which alternative testing methods could be used for assessing these students. This struck me so much so that I decided to take a TEFL course at the same time as completing my 3rd year. Once I had graduated, I travelled to China. I taught English as a second language in a couple of locations over the 3 years that I worked there. My role included readying students for life overseas to identifying those in need of extra support, whilst being culturally sensitive plus other experiences which I won't provide an exhaustive list of here. I returned to England a year a go, since then I have worked as a supply teacher/TA in various schools. Since April I have been based at one school, initially I supported students with a wide variety of needs, my role now is two fold I partake in pastoral care for a group of ESL students and I work primarily with an ESL student who needs 1:1 support.

I have other experience working with children in a community setting and volunteering.

Any constructive feedback would be wonderful. Thanks in advance :)

wannabeedpsych

Post by wannabeedpsych » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 pm

Wow silvermay sounds like you have a lot of experience! I'm new to all this so can't offer advice but I think you will be fine.
Anyone else applying for 2016 cohort???

I started my application this evening :-)

SilverMay

Post by SilverMay » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey, thanks, I'm just in the process of drafting my application and being over anxious about it.

Compared to the past couple of years this board seems pretty quiet.

I have found reading it all to be very helpful though! So if I have any advice, it's to do that! :D

wannabeedpsych

Post by wannabeedpsych » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:47 am

Me to Silvermay I was hoping for more people on here - maybe that's a good sign that not many will be applying!! I have drafted mine and keep going back and changing it again and again.
I have had a rethink about where to apply I am thinking of the Tavistock - is anybody studying there already? Would really like to pick your brains about it....??

Silvermay where are you applying for?
I am going for Birmingham, UCL and Tavistock :lol:

Ren

Post by Ren » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Silvermay and wannabeedpsych,
I'm also applying this year... currently avoiding looking at my application draft because it's just too scary and i've hit the wall (no idea what to write anymore!)

I'm going for UCL, IoE and Tavistock... Definitely agree this thread seems very quiet this year... it's really nice looking back over previous years that people have had others on here to agonize over the waiting with them!

Good luck with your applications! Fingers crossed for all of us! :D

rebeccalouise

Post by rebeccalouise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Hello,

A plea for help: I have been lucky enough to secure a chance to speak to an EP. Has anyone got any insightful questions I can add to my list?

Thank you!!

SilverMay

Post by SilverMay » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi!

To wannabeedpsych, I hope that's the case but I feel it's more like wishful thinking!

I am finding the personal statement difficult. One minute, I think it's quite good and I'm ready to show it to people for feedback and then the next, I think it's terrible and not fit for anyone's eye....yet. So I'm with you Ren!

Good luck to everyone because it is a difficult process!

I am going to be applying to Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham.

Bumble

Post by Bumble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi all!

Another one applying for the 2016 intake here. In process of trying to write my personal statement (amongst a thousand other things including moving house YIKES!).

Is pretty daunting knowing how high the competition is! Sooo good luck everyone. Hopefully this will be a good place of support as it looks to have been in previous years.

I am applying for Birmingham, Exeter and Bristol, but only get the results from my BPS conversion Masters at the end of November so I am definitely feeling a little tense over the timings.

xxx

TwoShoes

Post by TwoShoes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Hey there,

I am just about to send my application off :/ Anyone else out there applying this year? Seems awfully quiet. X

Mistymoo

Post by Mistymoo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for months but only just got myself an account. It's been really useful, what a fab resource to have!

I sent my application off last night, Jan-Feb seems so far away! And yet I'm still nervous...

Silvermay, I've also applied to Birmingham, Sheffield and Manchester! Good luck to everyone applying this year :D

skanderle55

Post by skanderle55 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:47 am

hi guys yes your right it is very quite on this forum possibly as this year we have a Facebook forum that has many applicants and current trainees on you should join that Educational Psychology - doctoral applicants I'm still to start my personal statement but references are in I'm a first time applicant so excited and a little nervous right now!