Rejection after interview (counselling psychology)

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
moonstar

Rejection after interview (counselling psychology)

Post by moonstar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi all
I had my interview for the practitioner doctorate course in Counselling Psychology at Wolverhamton Uni a few weeks ago but unfortunately i didnt get a place. The feedback I got from the interview was that they were impressed with my performance and could see I had potential as a Counselling Psychologist however they felt that I needed to gain more formal counselling experience and be able to frame client work through counselling frameworks. The experince that I have is in working in supported accomodaton for women suffering from mental health problems. I have a certificate in counsellin skills but it is extremely hard to find any organisation willing to take me on on a voluntary basis for one-to-one counselling work, and the only option that i seem to have at the moment is to complete my diploma in counselling over the next couple of years just so I can get the right experience to appy for my doctorate!
Has anybody ese applied to Wolves and got a place?.. what kind of experince did you have?Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated because i dont think I have ever been this confused in my life!
thanks in advance.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi

This always confuses me to be honest. I'm sorry that you have had this experience by the way. I am a chartered Couns psy, but went for experience as an assistant psychologist and did this for a few years before deciding on which route I wanted to go down. This gave me all the experience with clients I needed and to be honest with you, I'm not sure that taking more counselling qualifications would be the best route (although some do). There was (and sometimes still is) confusion over this title, some thinking they will become counsellors, but it just isn't that straight forward, your main qualification is Psychology, there is a vast difference. Some trainees in the first years of training go on counselling placements and there can be problems because they do not necessarily use formulation as a psychologist would. There is some debate about placements etc at the moment because of this. Client hours versus adequate supervision that will incorporate psychological formulation and more varied psychological approaches. Think about what you would really like in your training/and or work experience. Counselling by itself in my view may not be the best route.

silly sa

Post by silly sa » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:22 pm

I agree with Enigma on the point that further counselling courses may not be the best route. Although, I'm aware that it seems pretty confusing about what to do to improve your experience. In my last post, as a graduate mental health worker, I managed to be incredibly lucky and work on a 1:1 basis with around 6 clients a day and my supervisor was a counselling psychologist. The service I worked for was a counselling service - so jobs where you can expand your 1:1 work can and do exist! Alternatively, have you considered the 'Independent Route' where you work full-time and study part time to get the same qualification?

I'm applying for counselling psychology this year so I am aware of how confusing this route can seem. Keep trying!

Sarah

DrFurbs

Post by DrFurbs » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a question, regarding this area. Say I have zero experience in counselling, where would I start if I was interested in the independent route?

Btw, been told recently that the independent route won get you the doctorate title but does allow you to call yourself a counselling psychologist if you become chartered.

sarada12

Post by sarada12 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:43 am

hi there,

whats the latest with where you are at now moonstar?

I just wanted to add that I am just graduating (with expected 1st) and am debating about whether to go down clinical or counselling doctorate route. I have applied for counselling DPsych and have already been told I stand a very good chance at being offered a place due to my experience, which is:

1 yrs volunteer telephone counselling experience with an anxiety charity
basic counselling skills certificate
and also 1 yrs experience volunteering as a support worker (which included some counselling) with MIND.

I was told that IDEALLY they would like face to face experience (even if it is just for a few hours) and from my understanding this is easier to get once you have some telephone work. Some of my colleagues have trained with the samaritans and/or cruse bereavement too. This only means volunteering a few hours a week - it doesnt need to be a full-time affair!

There is a volunteer website called do-it.org or something like that which often advertises for volunteer counselling placements. It might be a start...? All the best with it.