Book recommendation for formulation

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
sophie6543

Book recommendation for formulation

Post by sophie6543 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

Hello all

I am looking for a good book or two on formulation in clinical psychology - something really practical and easy to access that can be used alongside work with clients.
Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Many thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Victoriomantic

Re: Book recommendation for formulation

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:05 pm

I use Assessment & Case Formulation in CBT 2nd edition by Corrie, Townend and Cockx (currently doing my IAPT HI), or Formulation in Psychology & Psychotherapy 2nd edition by Johnstone & Dallos which is broader and covers formulations across different disciplines (e.g. CBT, systemic, psychodynamic, narrative etc.)

Both of them are quite theory-heavy at points but the first chapter or two of Corrie et al. is very helpful for how to structure CBT formulations and knowing what to include.

Alternatively you can google Helen Kennerley's "Blobby Formulation" which is a very simple starting point and useful for clients who are very complex or aren't used to therapy or conceptualising their difficulties yet.

Hope these help! :)

sophie6543

Re: Book recommendation for formulation

Post by sophie6543 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:19 pm

Fab thank you very much for your reply!