Anti Racist Book Club for Psychologists

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
libbynugent

Anti Racist Book Club for Psychologists

Post by libbynugent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:28 pm

My name is Dr Libby Nugent. I’m a Clinical Psychologist and I have recently started an Anti-Racist Book Club for Psychologists. This is with the hope of in some small way beginning to address issues of the dominance of narratives of whiteness and the under representation of ethnic diversity in our profession. The groups are free but you do need to let me know if you want to come along.

Meetings are: monthly online Facebook meetings, and bimonthly in person bookclub meetings in Wrexham and London.

The online Facebook group is called Becoming Ethical and should be accessible if you search @becomingethical

The next Wrexham meeting is Saturday 10th August 10am -12, Glyn Wylfa, Chirk LL14 5BS. To discuss the book The Good Immigrant Edited by Nikesh Shukla.

The next London meeting is Monday September 9th 6 pm -8 pm, The May Day Rooms, 88 Fleet Street. To discuss the book
Why I’m No Longer Speaking to White People About Race.

Kind regards

Libby
Dr Libby Nugent

Clinical Psychologist
Trainee Group Analyst
Mail@libbynugent.com
www.libbynugent.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
workingmama
Team Member

Re: Anti Racist Book Club for Psychologists

Post by workingmama » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am

I tried to set up something similar in my NHS Trust but the Equality and Diversity team felt that it might seem racist as it was aimed at White people so I was advised to not progress this. We were hoping to look at 'Being White in the Helping Professions', which is a truly great book for starting dialogue around White privilege, responses to this, and internalized racism. Very best of luck with this, I only wish I lived nearer (I avoid Facebook sadly). Still disappointed by this.
Fail, fail again, fail better.

libbynugent

Re: Anti Racist Book Club for Psychologists

Post by libbynugent » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 pm

That’s truly awful and sadly a reflection of the reality of the level of structural racism in place. You can’t even call white people white. I had tried to set up the group on the good reads website but it wouldn’t let people comment so not fit for purpose. Hence Facebook.

Thanks for commenting - it’s good to get support. I’m open to suggestions and linking in with other projects so if you have any other anti racist projects and need support let me know.