Professional development days 2020

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Professional development days 2020

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:45 pm

Following previous successful personal and professional development days in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 we are now booking places at our Professional Development days for 2020.

This is a full day of experiential training for graduate psychologists applying for clinical training courses or considering doing so in the future, who wish to think about their personal and professional development and engage in activities that might assist preparation for future interviews. There will be chances to discuss clinical and research vignettes, contribute to group tasks and answer mock interview questions, as well as to learn from peer and trainer feedback. Previous workshop delegates have said:
It really was so helpful to go through the tasks and meet fellow applicants
It was extremely helpful and great to practise the questions!
It was a great day. Thank you so much. Definitely confirmed to me that I'm on the right path, which is a nice thing to know.
This training rocked!!!
It really helped to build my confidence and I feel like it contributed to my later success at interview, thank you!
You can read other reviews or comments about the day on the forum here, here, here and here.

Facilitator
Dr Miriam Silver, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, is the founder of clinpsy.org.uk and has been involved in the career development of psychologists for nearly two decades. She worked in NHS CAMH services and also in social care settings, as well as being founding clinical director of a parenting charity and clinical director of a large residential care provider. She has provided expert witness reports for over 250 cases in the family court, and has been active in policy and committee work for the BPS and ACP, including contributing to NICE guidance and a select committee hearing. Dr Silver presents regularly at conferences and has trained thousands of professionals with consistently positive feedback. She is a highly regarded speaker and trainer. She wrote the book "Attachment in Common Sense and Doodles". She is also currently promoting the use of regular outcome measurements and improved clinical governance across services for Looked After Children.

Aims
The aim of this event is to to help the process of reflection and development for early career stage psychologists, and increase self-awareness and self-confidence with regard to interview questions and tasks; the target audience is psychology graduates, particularly those who have applied for the clinical psychology doctorate.

Each event is limited to 16 places, and based on past years they will sell out fast, so we will keep a waiting list and try to add additional events if required.

The dates are 25th February and 5th March. These would both take place in Matlock, priced at £36 per person (£32 per person for under-represented minorities*).

This is a low cost event in our own office space in Matlock, Derbyshire. This is a relatively easy venue to get to by car, with free parking, but I am aware it is not easy by public transport as the trains to Matlock are infrequent and the station is just over a mile from the office (20 minutes walk). So I hope that you are able to come in groups and/or lift-share as much as possible.

Please email emma@lifepsychol.co.uk to book your place. We accept payment via bank transfer or on a credit/debit card via Stripe.

The days include tea and coffee, but please bring a packed lunch. I am donating my time without charge, and we have free use of a venue, so after expenses all profits will go towards the purchase of an interactive whiteboard for a local primary school.

*update* We may also schedule a day in Bristol, so if that is of interest, watch this space.

*you are eligible for this rate if you have a disability, or identify as LGBTQ, BME, or having dependents and feel the cost would otherwise be a barrier to attending (if you consider yourself to be in an under-represented minority group I have not listed, feel free to let me know)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Brio52

Re: Professional development days 2019/2020

Post by Brio52 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi, I'd be interested in attending the 14th of Feb day in London. :)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 pm

We couldn't get the room on Valentine's day, so we are now looking at 5th (and maybe 3rd) March as the London dates, and we are waiting to hear back about our prefered venue for 25th Feb in Sheffield.
Miriam

Shinalp

Post by Shinalp » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 am

Hello
I have applied for the doctorate this year and would like to attend the professional development day in London. How can I apply for the day?
Thanks

heg124

Post by heg124 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:18 pm

I am interested in attending the day in Sheffield. How can I book onto this?

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:52 am

I would also like to attend the development day in Sheffield if there’s enough interest for it to go ahead.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:09 pm

We haven't yet confirmed the venue. I'll follow it up tomorrow.
Miriam

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 am

Hi Miriam,
I was wondering if there’s any update on the Sheffield event? I don’t mean to rush you by I’d love to attend if it goes ahead but I’ll need to book time off work really soon if it’s going ahead. Thanks.

Beccaraku

Post by Beccaraku » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello, is there anything further for the London event yet?

Thanks!

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:37 am

I've really struggled to get suitable venues at a cost that isn't prohibitive for either location. I can't get two consecutive days in London, which means that the whole of the train fare and hotel costs would have to load on a single day, pushing up the price beyond what I'd like to charge or meaning we raise no money for charity. And it turns out that the venues in Sheffield are more expensive than London and nowhere affordable can do a whole day on a suitable date. I'd offer to use our offices, but we don't have a training room any more and we are in a location that is inaccessible by public transport, which reduces access. I'd think about doing something online, but as those that have attended in previous years know, much of the day is about how we interact with others, and coping with the anxiety of answering questions under pressure. So I'm totally stumped, unless someone has a venue available in their workplace that we can use?
Miriam

Brio52

Post by Brio52 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm

Sorry to hear that, thanks for all the work you've put in.
Can't say I know of any venues or anything unfortunately, so I will keep fingers crossed that another person may be able to offer assistance.

For myself I would be able to travel without public transportation, but I agree that doing a session online may lack a lot of the benefits of meeting face to face.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:51 pm

It looks like I can potentially get a venue in Matlock/Tansley for 25th Feb or 3rd March to do a day with a cost of £36 per head, and I can potentially get the venue in Holburn in London on 5th March, but the cost of the day would be £56 there. But we'd need to know that we'd get 15 people for each event to make it worth doing. So post to let me know if you want me to book in either of these.
Miriam

Breeze

Post by Breeze » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:43 pm

I can do Matlock on the 25th February but I couldn’t do the 3rd March (sorry, I’ve now got clients booked in at work on the 3rd) or I could do the 5th in London if that was better prescribed.

Edit: Thanks for organising all of this, I hope it’s able to go ahead but I appreciate the effort regardless!

Brio52

Post by Brio52 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:27 pm

I could do either of the Matlock days but would find the London one a bit trickier to get too.

If anyone would have difficulty getting to Matlock, I'd be driving from the Leicester area so could arrange car sharing if anyone is in the derby or nottingham area and wants to go.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm

We've been able to secure a low cost room in Matlock for 25th Feb and 5th March. So let me know if you are interested, and I'll put up some booking details on Monday.
Miriam