PWP post or Assistant Psychologist?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
CassieO

PWP post or Assistant Psychologist?

Post by CassieO » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I have just completed the PG Cert PWP training course and therefore been working for the NHS alongside the training course (as a Trainee PWP). I am now applying for qualified PWP positions and have an interview coming up. I also decided to apply for Assistant Psychologist vacancies to keep my options open. I have been invited to an interview for an AP - the first I have ever been short listed for. I believe the interview offer is due to the PWP training and experience from working as a Trainee for the last year. I also have an MSc Psychology Clinical and Health. My original long term plan was to apply for the Clinical Psychology doctorate - after working as a PWP for a couple of years. I have now started to think the Counselling Psychology doctorate might be more suitable for me, as I have enjoyed the therapeutic side of being a PWP. My question is: if I do get an offer for both PWP and AP (thinking positive here :P ) which do I accept? As I have completed PWP training - it seems logical to work as a PWP for a least a year or 2 particularly if I later apply for the Counselling Psychology doctorate. However, is an AP role too good to turn down, regardless of the timing? Thank you for any input.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: PWP post or Assistant Psychologist?

Post by maven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Worry about it if/when you get offers from both and once you have a feel of both roles and services.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare