Trainee PWP application

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
yasminr25

Trainee PWP application

Post by yasminr25 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody has any advice about applications for a trainee PWP post. I have a Psychology degree from the University of Sheffield, have been a support worker for individuals with learning disability and autism, volunteered and had other mental health experience. My mum works in the NHS and a friend of her's who looks over the trainee PWP applications helped me structure my personal statement. However, it appears I am still getting rejected and it is starting to put me off applying. Do people think its important for me to continue with my education and get a masters in research/clinical psychology?

I am due to start a clinical support worker role in an acute mental health ward at my local hospital (NHS band 3) in August which will hopefully help my future applications. But I am hesitant about needing a masters for any further career progression.

Thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ForeverJung

Re: Trainee PWP application

Post by ForeverJung » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Yasmin,

My advice would be to take the clinical support worker role, enjoy it, learn from it, and reflect on what new skills you have gained. Whilst a masters would not hinder your applications, I would say that having varied experiences and the ability to reflect on them will be much more helpful (as well as being the better option financially). I applied for several PWP posts for the first time myself this year and had a good success rate at receiving interview invites despite not having a masters level qualification. I did have three years' experience in various clinical roles to draw upon though!

Good luck, and don't give up!

yasminr25

Post by yasminr25 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:37 pm

thanks for this reply! I am going to start the role and I am looking forward to starting. What other clinical experience would you recommend? Thanks!

ForeverJung

Post by ForeverJung » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am

I think the most important thing is being able to get the most out of each experience, not just job hopping as a box ticking exercise (which can actually be off-putting to employers). Volunteering in relevant areas alongside a job can be helpful though. Thinking about it now, volunteering for a company that provides telephone assistance for people with mental health difficulties, or people in distress, would be great experience to prepare for a PWP post I would think. Just be kind to yourself with your work/life balance, as I know from experience that you can quickly experience burnout if you try to do too much, too quickly.