Applying in the US and UK

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
USPsych

Applying in the US and UK

Post by USPsych » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:43 pm

Hello!

In the US, students must commit to a school by April 15th.

In the UK, it seems as though schools may not be releasing decisions until June/July.

Does anyone have advice for navigating this? I want to apply in both countries, but that's pointless if I have to either turn down all US programs or commit to one US program before even knowing if I have a place in a UK program.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Applying in the US and UK

Post by miriam » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 am

You'll know if you've been shortlisted for interview for a UK course by 12th March, but you are right that the interviews take place from 15th March to 28th May, and the final date for offers of NHS places to be sent out by is 4th June. So you'll need to decide which way you are going after hearing about interviews, but before knowing if you have a final offer. If you are an international, non-NHS funded applicant, you can email the relevant course and ask about their timing for offers, but I suspect that the two systems just don't run well in parallel.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

USPsych

Re: Applying in the US and UK

Post by USPsych » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:52 pm

miriam wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:08 am
You'll know if you've been shortlisted for interview for a UK course by 12th March, but you are right that the interviews take place from 15th March to 28th May, and the final date for offers of NHS places to be sent out by is 4th June. So you'll need to decide which way you are going after hearing about interviews, but before knowing if you have a final offer. If you are an international, non-NHS funded applicant, you can email the relevant course and ask about their timing for offers, but I suspect that the two systems just don't run well in parallel.
Thank you, Miriam! It's, unfortunately, seeming that the systems don't work well together. Yet, I can't be the first person who has ever attempted this, so it's strange. You'd think there'd be a better way to navigate it. I appreciate your response and will reach out to the individual programs.