DClinPsy Application Form Relevant Experience Section

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Psyfer

DClinPsy Application Form Relevant Experience Section

Post by Psyfer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 am

I am in my mid 30s and have quite a lot of fairly irrelevant experience, (as well as a good amount of relevant experience).I also spent a couple of years wandering around Asia.

One section of the application from says:

"If there are any periods of your adult life not accounted for in the Experience and Qualifications sections, such as time spent travelling, other work experience, periods of unemployment etc, please give dates and a brief description of your activities (eg 09/2012 to 03/2013 travelling in South America)."

I am a bit concerned that:

1. There are not enough characters for me to account for my whole adult life in the box provided.

Should I put irrelevant-ish jobs into the job history section (eg Trainee Chartered Accountant, part-time Mathematics and English Tutor, English teacher abroad) or attempt to get everything into the account for your adult life section?

2. By accounting for my adult life I miss the opportunity to reflect on what I have gained from my experiences and have no space to mention lots of short-term volunteering I have done.

Should I just forget about accounting for my adult life and focus on reflection and mentioning relevant voluntary experience instead?

elsaar

Re: DClinPsy Application Form Relevant Experience Section

Post by elsaar » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 pm

I think the key is that the "other experience" still comes under "relevant experience". Relevant being the key word.

I would personally only include relevant jobs in both sections. Relevant in the sense that even if it isn't directly "clinical", you could have transferable skills from it. I don't think it wants you to list every single job you've done in your adulthood. Rather it's relevant experiences in your adulthood.

Suppose for people who were unemployed or only travelling, they would just say that. But if you've got a large pot of other experiences and travelling ect, it's condensing them down to what is relevant and mentioning only those. Furthermore, I don't think it wants a large amount of reflection from you in those sections. I reckon a short summary of what you did/your tasks were is sufficient enough in that section. You get to reflect on the volunteering and other experiences in your personal statements area.

Psyfer

Post by Psyfer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi Elsaar,

Thank you so much for your reply, that's really helpful... and obvious now that you mention it!

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:28 pm

I trained a teacher originally and I put that in the proper job list, emphasising the aspects of it that were applicable to clinical psychology in the description of my duties (e.g. being a personal tutor). I also had some much more irrelevant jobs (e.g. customer service temp jobs after uni) that I didn't put in even though they taught me some great generic communication skills, and I just put that I had been temping in that open-ended box. And then use your personal statement to reflect on these transferable skills and what experiencing different work environments has taught you about yourself, life and the universe. They can definitely be your USP if sold well.

All universities short-list differently, so it might be worth looking at the unis your applying to and seeing if you can find their shortlisting criteria anywhere. You definitely want to find a balance between including things that are genuinely relevant, but also not adding length to the form without adding value.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Do not put irrelevant jobs into the list of relevant experiences. It shows you can't prioritise the most salient information, which is a critical CP competency. I'd strongly advise against trying to shoehorn in every prior experience into the form as a whole. Nobody shortlisting cares about jobs in retail or finance or teaching English as a foreign language. Follow the instructions and in the "other" box put them with dates in the shortest possible bullet-point format, and then reflect on what you have learnt overall across your life so far in the main box. If experiences from outside of directly relevant jobs make it into that box, then so be it, but for most people they won't. It can be helpful to have a line explaining a career change, but to be honest, having read lots of these forms your limited characters should focus on the main competencies and reflections you have gained that are applicable to CP training, and not on trying to tell your life story.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare