Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
kate03

Re: Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Post by kate03 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Well done! I've just got a message too. Awesome to get the message, but I'm now slightly concerned about whether it's possible to survive on the salary yours given! Eek. Are you far away from the uni Itachi?

Inara

Post by Inara » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Yay!! Just got the email too! :bounce:
"No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing."
Anton Chekhov

bells90

Post by bells90 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I got a message too, yay! Does anybody know what the assessment is likely to entail or what types or questions might be asked?

bells90

Post by bells90 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Definitely been a bit stupid. Just looked through all the other pages and found the answer to my question!

Megzi

Post by Megzi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 pm

I have also been invited to the assessment day.

However, in the case that I am successful I will have a headache picking either this opportunity or a Band 3 position that I should be starting in a months time working with a client group I am very interested in (and have yet to work with).

sare87

Post by sare87 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, have been lurking for a while but this is my first post so hellllllo.

Congrats to all who have received their invites for this. I've had one too, but now on second thoughts, slightly apprehensive about surviving on the salary eeeeeeek.

So far my experience includes: an MSc in abnormal and clinical psychology, a year as on honorary assistant psychologist, 3 months volunteering alongside an OT in vocational services for individuals with mental health problems, 3 months as a care coordinator and home care assistant for older adults and a year as a mental health worker in residential and supoorted living services. I am wondering how much extra experience this course will provide me with and if it will be worthwhile in the long run and stand me in good stead for potentially getting onto the doctorate? Or, should I be spending more time focusing on applying for those elusive AP and RA posts?

Sorry if this has already been posted. Would just be good to get people's opinions.

kate03

Post by kate03 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Hey Sare87,

Firstly well done on getting through to the assessment day! I'm in the same position in that I'm worried about the money side of things. I'd like to think I can get by on not very much, but I have a friend who said she struggled to live in London on £18k! Part of me thinks it would be worth going the assessment because we'll be given more information but then another part of me thinks it'd be impossible to live on £11.5k.

It sounds as though you've got some good experience behind you and the masters is always going to look good on your CV. I guess it's a case of looking at what you would do if you didn't go for this, and whether you feel it's worth the risk of letting this go in favour of an AP/RA post. My concern with this role is that you're not guaranteed a post at the end of it, and it feels as though an AP/RA post may be viewed upon more favourably?

This probably isn't much help but you're not alone! Good luck whatever you decide :)

bam

Post by bam » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:29 pm

yeah it's a hard decision for those with masters, but if you don't have much experience i think this course is still worthwhile. it's probably the best concentration of experience you can get in a year; a pg dip and two clinical placements in two very separate areas of acute and chronic mental health. you'll have two brand new areas of clinical experience by the end of it, which you are unlikely to have if you go elsewhere.

also you can live on the wage if you really want to. you won't pay council tax and mcdonald's poundsaver menu exists.

kate03

Post by kate03 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks Bam! The only thing worrying me is the money side of it but the fact we don't pay council tax is a bonus - I wasn't sure with it being half course and half placement but that sounds good :)

Taira87

Post by Taira87 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi All,

I am also attending the assessment day on Sat. Forgive me if I am being stupid, but could someone point me in the directions of a post/posts that has a bit of info on the actual literacy and numeracy tests? Are they standard numerical reasoning graduate tests? written tests? do we need a calculator or are they mental arithmetic etc? I need to practice, but have no idea what I should be practising reallt.

Any help is much appreciated!

x

bells90

Post by bells90 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Taira87, from what i've gathered from earlier posts in this thread, there's nothing specific available but it seems like general GCSE level maths questions, a bit of long division and multiplication maybe. I don't think they'll expect us to do anything that you couldn't do without a calculator (no mention of bringing a calculator in the email I got). I'm not too sure what the literacy aspect will consist of but i'm guessing some sort of interpretation of a passage, maybe a bit of research or something. Obviously i've not been to an assessment myself yet but this is just what i've seen.

Megzi

Post by Megzi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Did anyone receive confirmation that their confirmation has been received? I simply message them via NHS jobs. Also a friend of mine forgot to confirm their attendance before 12.30pm today, is there any hope for them in terms of having a place for the assessment day? Thanks.

FreudianSlips

Post by FreudianSlips » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hi all,

Re: money concerns
The solution people in my cohort found was to rent a house within affordably commutable distance, with other AMHWs, and obviously split the bill. The house share seemed to make things more affordable for singletons who were not previously local.

Re: tests
I can't remember what the level is called but it's to check you're at the national average I think. If you revise GCSE level stuff you'll be fine.

Re: experience
Prior to this I had 3 years as a mental health support worker, 2 years volunteering as a telephone counsellor for Saneline (3hrs a week) 3 years volunteering for Childline (4hrs per week), 1 year mental health befriender, and 2 years voluntary LSA with a child with autism (2 days per week). I would say that even if you have had voluntary AP jobs you stand to gain from the role as you will get a good understanding of managing your own caseload, delivering low level interventions, the stresses in the NHS etc which are all relevant.

Re: getting a post
True, not everyone will get a post afterwards, but I think most did last year. That said, I didn't get a job the first time I applied as I got myself in a flap and interviewed badly. However, jobs were advertised again 6months later and I got a job, which I have now been I'm for 1.5years.

Taira87

Post by Taira87 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks so much for your help guys!

This is a fantastic forum, its lovely to know the ClinPsy crowd are so nice and willing to help! xx

sare87

Post by sare87 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone, you've put my mind at rest a bit. I think I'll atleast go to the assessment day and see what happens. Now, this may sound a very silly question but what are we supposed to wear to an assessment day? Are they expecting formal interview attire?