Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Davina56

Re: Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Post by Davina56 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi all

I know we've been told repeatedly that we'll be on Band 2 wage, despite advert/description stating Band 3 as it has been previously... but I've received my formal letter and it states at the top Trainee Graduate Mental Health Worker - Band 3. If we are to be on Band 2 wage, will the programme be noted as Band 3 all the way through the course? Does anyone have any written confirmation that we will be on Band 2? PS - Anyone know where the Facebook page has gone? Congrats again to all those who were successful - not long now!! :D

HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Davina,

I assumed we were on band 3. We do get paid for at the end of April even while being at uni don't we?

I haven't received my formal letter yet, just an email. When did you get this and what trust are you with? :D

Davina56

Post by Davina56 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm with BEH HappyChappy! Not my first choice but I thought I would be as the trust rep from the selection day was on my interview panel :| I only just got my letter today, but I think it's basically a paper version of the documents attached to your email? Occ health etc. But it states Band 3, and I thought this year was Band 2 despite the advert?!?!? Besides this, SO excited!

Davina56

Post by Davina56 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:04 pm

And yes, I'm pretty sure it was stated during the selection lecture that we'll be paid at the end of April :-)

HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm with C&I. I received the Email (conditional offer letter attached pending reference, CRB and OH clearance). I haven't received any formal start date yet though. I'm so excited to start too. My Email also said band 3. I hope it is. :D

Inara

Post by Inara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:58 am

HappyChappy wrote:I'm with C&I. I received the Email (conditional offer letter attached pending reference, CRB and OH clearance). I haven't received any formal start date yet though. I'm so excited to start too. My Email also said band 3.
Same here :)
Davina56 wrote:I know we've been told repeatedly that we'll be on Band 2 wage, despite advert/description stating Band 3 as it has been previously... but I've received my formal letter and it states at the top Trainee Graduate Mental Health Worker - Band 3. If we are to be on Band 2 wage, will the programme be noted as Band 3 all the way through the course? Does anyone have any written confirmation that we will be on Band 2?
I've always worked in the private sector and the whole banding thing is new to me but I am wondering if the confusion is partly to do with the whole pro rata side of things? So, perhaps we are going to officially be Band 3 but with the part time working hours the pay equates to Band 2?
kas505 wrote:Hello everyone, I am also very happy to have been given an offer for this job :) If it's ok, I'd like ask any current or past trainees how likely they think it is to gain an assistant psychologist job after finishing?

Because I am lucky enough to have been offered another job as a healthcare assistant where they internally shortlist for their assistant psychologist positions!
Hmmmm... I can see why this would be attractive but being shortlisted wouldnt necessarily mean you will definitely get the AP job. I am sorry if this comes across as being negative but up until this interview I've always been second best or one of the top candidates at every job application without progressing further. Given todays job market I would be more inclined to go with something solid now rather than a possibility for being shortlisted in the future.
Taira87 wrote:I got BEH but will be living in south london so now i'm really worried about getting a placement miles away!
I queried this on the assesment day as I live in South London too, especially given that C&I get inner working allowance (BEH get fringe allowance but its a bit less) so kinda works out as more expenses and less pay. I was told that this is a point they will have to discuss with HR, look into and get back to us about.
"No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing."
Anton Chekhov

HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am

Are we at uni for a full month until the end of April? I have my masters graduation at the end of April and I'm wondering on the likelihood of getting half a day off to attend. I don't want to go ahead and pay for everything, but only have a week to confirm my attendance. I've got my family coming down too and they've paid quite a bit.

Any of the previous cohort know how likely it is to get time off? 8-)

FreudianSlips

Post by FreudianSlips » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Happychappy,

They are never keen on you missing uni days, but it's your graduation!!! I would definitely go. You can catch up on uni work. With regards to placements, again, they're not keen on you missing days, but where essential people have missed one and agreed to make it up somewhere, usually by working a day allocated to you as holiday. I would say it's a pre-existing commitment.

Hope that helps!

FreudianSlips

Post by FreudianSlips » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 am

Oh, and you should be paid the same amount every month, whether you're at uni or on placement, as it's averaged out into a monthly sum.

Hanj89

Post by Hanj89 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm

I received the information regarding the course/placement last night. We are in university until Friday 26th April and then move onto placements on Monday 29th April.
I'm sure they will understand the situation, and you'll be able to catch up on university work if it's only one day. You can't miss graduation!

Taira87

Post by Taira87 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:40 pm

FreudianSlips wrote:Hi Happychappy,

They are never keen on you missing uni days, but it's your graduation!!! I would definitely go. You can catch up on uni work. With regards to placements, again, they're not keen on you missing days, but where essential people have missed one and agreed to make it up somewhere, usually by working a day allocated to you as holiday. I would say it's a pre-existing commitment.

Hope that helps!

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but does this mean that you get allocated your holiday allowance and you cant choose it? I thought we would not be able to choose it in uni time, but would be able to in placement time.

Thanks

HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks for your help. :D

Taira87- I think we are allocated our holidays throughout both uni and placements. I got the timetable on Friday. :D

cassleigh3

Post by cassleigh3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Is anyone else having trouble contacting their team manager to arrange a placement visit, or getting through to apply for a smart card for RiO?? I can't seem to get through to either..

bells90

Post by bells90 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I can't help with your placement I'm afraid but as far as the RiO cards go we don't have to do anything. I called them on Monday and they said that as we've already had pictures taken and they have all our documents already (from the interview day), they will have the cards ready for us when we go for the training :)

HappyChappy

Post by HappyChappy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I've contacted mine, but haven't arranged times yet as not sure whether it is an all day thing or just for a few hours.

I did the same as Bells and they told me that they'd have it all sorted for us and we didn't need to do anything. :D