Previous Employment - Skills and Duties

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Purplejob

Previous Employment - Skills and Duties

Post by Purplejob » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question about an application I am writing at the moment and wondered if anyone would be able to help me...

The application is for an AP post with a charitable organisation which is like most applications aside from the previous employment section. You are requested to input details of your previous employment but there is no section to detail the skills/duties within these posts. It merely has sections for previous employer, dates of employment, job title, salary and reason for leaving. It also does not have an allocated space for my publications or GBR registration.

Should I include this information in my supporting statement??

Whilst I recognise that I need to be as concise as possible, I am also cautious about being overly descriptive if I write this information in the supporting statement.

Which leads me to the question, has anyone ever encountered this issue before? Would you write an additional CV with this information detailed on it?

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice,

Thanks,

J

lisak2000

Re: Previous Employment - Skills and Duties

Post by lisak2000 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi,

Yes, I have come across this - but only once before. I filled in the application form as requested and in my covering letter, I went through the personal spec, and addressed each point using examples from my previous jobs. That seemed to be enough and I was offered an interview. If they specify sending a CV then obviously you can give a brief description of your skills in there, but if it is only the application form I'd probably resist the urge to send in a CV as well. There's probably a reason they aren't asking people to send more information, especially if it's for a charity.

Good luck :D

Purplejob

Re: Previous Employment - Skills and Duties

Post by Purplejob » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Thank you for your reply, it has been very helpful.
lisak2000 wrote:
I filled in the application form as requested and in my covering letter, I went through the personal spec, and addressed each point using examples from my previous jobs. That seemed to be enough and I was offered an interview.
I have another little query regarding this....Did you have a supporting information section in your application? if so, did you show evidence to support your statements in both your supporting information and the covering letter?

Thanks again,

J