Application form - Person Spec points...?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
Purplejob

Application form - Person Spec points...?

Post by Purplejob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently completing an application for a trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner post and in the person spec, it indicates how each criteria is assessed (ie application, interview, interview test/question, practical test, portfolio or references).

The following 4 points will be assessed by application;
1. "qualifications"
2. "evidence of working with people who have experienced a mental health problem"
3. "demonstrates high standards in written communication"
4. "ability to use clinical supervision and personal development positively and effectively"

However, there are another 22 points detailed on experience, skills & competencies and knowledge which, according to the person spec, will be assessed by either interview, interview test/question, practical test, portfolio or references.

Generally I would address all of the points on the person spec as, from my experience, the majority of them are predominantly assessed by application AND interview.

If I merely address the 4 points assessed by application, I could run the risk of selling myself short and do my application an injustice. By exemplifying how my experience applies to the other 22 points in my application could hypothetically make me a stronger candidate.....OR would it??

There is an approximate limit of 800 words for the supporting statement so I need to be concise.

I'm not sure how to approach this and would greatly appreciate any help/advice,

Thanks,
J

just looking

Re: Application form - Person Spec points...?

Post by just looking » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Someone who assesses these forms might be better at answering this, but here's my tuppence.

I think addressing all 22 points on the form would be very difficult in 800 words, and would probably sound very convoluted if you did manage. I would stick to the 4 key points and give solid answers + examples for those. At the same time, in the way you answer the criteria, if you're able to meet some of the other points it would be obviously very useful.

I wonder what others think.

Baneen03

Post by Baneen03 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Might also be worth noting that you feel you meet the 22 points, however, for brevity and as it stipulates these will be examined elsehwere (e.g. interview) that you will stick to the core 4 points.

Peach

Post by Peach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm not an expert but I would try and make sure all the points in the person specification are covered in your application form. Some of those points don't need to be addressed in your personal statement (e.g. qualifications, worked with people who experienced mental health problems) as they can be assessed from other parts of your application. With most personal statements most of the points overlap or are linked so if you write succint sentences that address several of the points, it is possible to address the criteria within the word count.

Good luck.
The best thing about this signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything, it's too late for you to stop reading.

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:37 pm

I would agree with Peach.

The first 3 of those 4 key points you would not need to write about explicitly in the supporting statement. Your qualifications and work experience are listed elsewhere on the application, and they will assess your written communication skills based on what you've written!

As Peach said, although there may be 22 points, many of these will overlap, so it should be reasonably easy to cover most of them within the word count.