Presenting at conference undergraduate level

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
SarahAshley29

Presenting at conference undergraduate level

Post by SarahAshley29 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi,

I am a final year undergraduate Psychology student just just finished my final exam, which marks the end of my degree. My supervisor believes my dissertation could get 95% and is trying to help me publish it in a journal. However, he also awarded me the same mark for my dissertation presentation and mentioned that the university would fund me to present it at a conference. He's told me to look for a relevant conference to present my research at, but as I actually quite dislike presenting, I was just wondering if it's worth taking this opportunity up? Would such an opportunity at an undergraduate level really help me with applications to assistant psychologist posts but also when it comes to applying for my doctorate in clinical psychology?

Thanks
Sarah

Charlie

Re: Presenting at conference undergraduate level

Post by Charlie » Tue May 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi,

Congrats on doing so well in your dissertation! Presenting an a conference is a fantastic opportunity, and would definitely strengthen your applications for posts/training. Dissemination is a vital part of the research process, so to share your findings as widely as possible through publishing and conferences is a great way to make yourself stand out in applications. It is also a good opportunity to develop your presenting skills. A lot of people don't like presenting, but very worthwhile experience. It does get easier!

Charlie

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Tue May 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Exactly what Charlie said! I would only add that presenting material will be a fairly significant part of your work once qualified, so the earlier you develop the skill, the better. Congratulations on such an achievement!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Tue May 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Hello,

If you are not that keen on presenting, you could submit for a poster?
This requires creating an academic poster then standing next to during an allocated time slot and answering any questions (if any) when people walk past looking at the posters.

It's a good way to get into disseminating and you get to go to a conference!

Loula

Post by Loula » Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Yes, do it! I presented my undergrad dissertation at a conference and it was good to put on my CV. I was doing interviews for AP posts last year and very few applicants talked about what they did with their research so it's good to talk about it interviews too.