MSc Psychology Conversion Course Advice

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
kel

MSc Psychology Conversion Course Advice

Post by kel » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi All!

I am in need of a little advice.

I am applying for a MSc Psychology conversion course (BPS Accredited) here in London since I have decided pursue a career in Clinical Psychology. I also obtain a BSc from The US.

I have so far gotten acceptance letters from University of East London and London Metropolitan University. What is your advice regarding these schools?

Many thanks.

Best,
Kel

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: MSc Psychology Conversion Course Advice

Post by Geishawife » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:19 pm

UEL has quite a good reputation and has a long-established CP doctorate. They also have some excellent and supportive academic staff. I have no personal experience of London Met, but have heard a few less than positive things about it. That is pure hearsay, however, so I wouldn't want you to make a choice based purely on that. If I were pushed to recommend one or the other, however, my recommendation would be UEL.

kel

Post by kel » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Geishawife wrote:UEL has quite a good reputation and has a long-established CP doctorate. They also have some excellent and supportive academic staff. I have no personal experience of London Met, but have heard a few less than positive things about it. That is pure hearsay, however, so I wouldn't want you to make a choice based purely on that. If I were pushed to recommend one or the other, however, my recommendation would be UEL.

Thanks for your response Geisha! appreciate it.

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi Kel, are you able to go to open days or campus tours? That might help you to decide. When I did my undergraduate degree I loved the sound of a course at one particular university, but when I went to an open day there I did not get a good vibe from them at all and ended up going elsewhere. I don't really know anything about the two universities you have mentioned but am considering the UEL conversion course myself as I like how you only need to be on Campus one day a week. I just wish the fees were lower -- they seem quite a lot higher than some of the other courses. Best of luck whatever you decide!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

kel

Post by kel » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 am

Hi All,

I believe it now stands between University East London, Middlesex University and University of Greenwich. What are your thoughts of the 3? Advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

kel

Post by kel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:45 pm

*bump

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:01 am

All conversion courses that are accredited by the BPS are fine for a career in psychology, so don't stress about it too much. You'd be better off going to a site like thestudentroom or a university review site and asking students at those specific universities what their experiences have been, because it's unlikely that people here will be familiar enough with all three of those places to give a helpful opinion. Personally I'd go for UEL, partly because there is a doctorate course there and partly because I'm a huge community psychology fan and they have staff whose interests are in that area. But that's just me. If you're not keen on community psychology, you wouldn't see this as a big draw. Then there are the commuting times and other practical aspects to consider.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

AnnaJane

Post by AnnaJane » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 pm

For what it's worth I completed my Conversion course at UEL in September. I really enjoyed the course and found the majority of the lecturers to be really enthusiastic and supportive. I'm sure the other Universities are similar, but just to give you some personal feedback. If you have any questions about the UEL course that I might be able to help with then feel free to PM me. :)