Chances of Being Accepted

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
SoTransformed

Chances of Being Accepted

Post by SoTransformed » Wed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I have read various threads about how difficult it is to be accepted onto a DClinPsy Clinical Psychology course. I am thinking of applying for the DClinPsy at Kings College London and University College London. I am wondering if anyone may be able to tell me what my chances are of being accepted (at least for an interview) with the following qualifications and experience:

Qualifications:

BSc (Hons) Psychology 1st class
Advanced Practitioner Diploma Clinical Hypnotherapy
Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy Diploma
Stress Management and Resilience Building Diploma

Experience:

Self-Employed Hypnotherapist (Part Time/1-2 days per week) 2 years
Mind Service Delivery Volunteer (Part Time/1 day per week) 6 months
Victim Support Service Delivery Volunteer (Part Time/1-2 days per week) 1 Year

My hypnotherapy experience involves using an evidence based model to help clients with smoking cessation, weight management, stress management, phobias, social anxiety, panic disorder and various other conditions.

I know that my chances of getting in 1st time around are not too high, and I may have to get an AP post to gain some more relevant experience. I would love to know what you all think.

Many thanks!

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Chances of Being Accepted

Post by maven » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

It isn't about what you've done, but how you can reflect on it in your application and interview.

But looking only at what you have written, it seems you lack substantive experience or clinical psychology supervision, so I'd seek those out. And bear in mind the two courses you've selected are amongst the most competitive courses in the country. So in order to stand out you will really need to reflect on your experiences, and to do that I think you will need to gain much more experience to reflect on, ideally in the NHS and/or directly involving CPs.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

SoTransformed

Post by SoTransformed » Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you for your feedback. I will definitely take on board what you said. I knew my chances would be pretty low. It is probably better to gain an assistant psychologist position in the NHS if possible, like you said :)

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am

am thinking of applying for the DClinPsy at Kings College London and University College London. I am wondering if anyone may be able to tell me what my chances are of being accepted (at least for an interview) with the following qualifications and experience:
Those two courses you mention are known for considerable emphasis on academic ability and research aptitude.

From your experience it looks like you've focussed on clinical, support and interpersonal experience, which are necessary, but there is little beyond your 1st Class undergraduate degree to demonstrate your development in research or academic skills. These are equally important when it comes to DClinPsy applications and you may want to think about how you develop those competencies if you wanted to improve your chances.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/