placing a future role in doctorate application

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
BriggsM1993

placing a future role in doctorate application

Post by BriggsM1993 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the following. I have just been offered a new assistant psychologist role, due to start in the new year and I would like to place on my doctorate application for 2019 entry. When I add this role on with a february state date, it goes down to the middle of the list rather than the top, would it be ok for me to tick the box as 'current role' or how else do I state that it is my future role and the one I will be in if successful at doctorate shortlisting stage.

Any advice/comments welcome.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: placing a future role in doctorate application

Post by Geishawife » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 pm

To be honest, I don't think it's something you CAN mention on the application form as you won't even have started in the role by the time the form needs submitting nor by the time courses are short-listing. Given this, you will have no idea how the new role will help you develop into a prospective trainee and will not be able to say anything about how the new role could aid your application . Simply having a job is never enough, you need to demonstrate what that job has given you and how you have devloped within the role - something you simply can't do at the time of application with this new role. I would suggest that, on the doctorate application, you focus on your experience thus far and how that has helped develop you into a trainee-in-waiting and then use the new role to help illustrate this further at the interview stage.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 pm

I mentioned a future role when I applied for a training programme in speech and language therapy, but only very briefly (as in "one sentence and no more" briefly). I just said why I'd applied and what I hoped to learn from it (something like "I am just starting a new role as a speech and language therapy assistant in a PMLD team, which I hope will allow me to gain greater understanding of the interplay between sensory and cognitive impairments"). I only did this because I would have been in post for a few months by the time I was interviewed, and I wanted to flag up to the interviewer that it might be something to discuss. It was a pretty competitive MSc programme (similar application numbers to the DClin) and I was offered a place, although I ended up choosing something else in the end. I don't know how much it helped to mention the future role, though, or even if it helped at all.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

ell

Post by ell » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:11 pm

The 'flagging things up to the interviewer' bit won't apply in DClinPsy interviews, which will involve the interviewers asking everyone the same questions. It will be up to you in interview to bring whatever you want into your answers.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:32 pm

It was the same thing for SALT. I just prefer it if the main things I raise in my interview are also mentioned in the application form, even if only briefly, as it helps me to stay collected (I reread my form before I go in) and I think maybe it's easier for the interviewer to remember everything that way as well. It might or might not be useful to them, but it makes me feel more at ease and less likely to forget things in the anxiety of the moment.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm

My main issue with listing a job that the applicant hasn't even started yet is that everything associated with it depends on hypotheticals. Yes, you hope that the job will offer you X, Y and Z, but what if it doesn't? What if the role, in reality, teaches you nothing more than you already know? For a multitude of reasons, jobs can not work out or not offer us what we hoped and, if that happens, what are you left with? That's why I, as a short-lister, want to know what the applicant has to offer in the here and now. That's what I would be interested in, not what an applicant hopes would happen but might never materialise.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 am

You definitely can't make it a relevant experience entry, as you haven't done it to gain any relevant experience from yet. You could mention it briefly in the main paragraph (eg "I will be starting [post] in [date] and hope that this will [one line]") but I'm not sure it would add much as you haven't done it at the point of shortlisting.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare