Applying for DClinPsy again - no new experience

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
matharinekills

Applying for DClinPsy again - no new experience

Post by matharinekills »

Hi All,

Looking for some advice about applying for the DClinPsy again this year. I applied last year (1st time) and got through to interview stage but was unsuccessful. I'm now looking for other work (AP post mainly) to gain more experience to enhance my application. I would still like apply this year but don't think my application with change a great deal unless I'm able to secure a new role. I would aim to reflect on my experiences of the past year and hopefully provide some fresh insights/reflections if I say in my current post. Are the universities able to compare applications year to year? Would it be better to wait until next year until I've gained more experience?

I had also had another question about training/getting experience in Australia. There is the potential that I could move to Australia for a year or so and wondering if or what sort of experience in the mental health sector there is considered sufficient when applying for the doctorate?

Thanks very much
:)
mungle

Re: Applying for DClinPsy again - no new experience

Post by mungle »

No, they will just see your current application. While you may not have lots of new experience, you can develop in reflection and readiness for training and let this shine through at application and potentially also at interview.
Courses will want you to show a commitment to the NHS but that doesn't mean you can't learn, grow and talk about experience in Australia. Put your life first and enjoy the amazing opportunity :-)